Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,946   Online: 808

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, eBay set it up that way - not to save anybody money - just the opposite! More fee money for eBay and a higher profit for the seller.

Ebay knows there are a lot of compulsive bidders in auctions and the eBay proxy bidding system, coupled with the fact that eBay auctions "time out" takes full advantage of this knowledge.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Check out the bids on an auction I sniped (and won) last week. I'd like to know what Ada268 thought they were playing at.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...tem=7548952424
    Seems to me that ada268 probed for a bit, beat the next highest bidder at the time by a tiny bit, and then hoped for the best. Not rare behavior, but yes, I don't see the point of it either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Snipeing is a disgusting practice, and in my mind not something to brag about
    the entire ebay auction has become a "sniping" game and one I am proud to say I don't do. The system was set up to be fair, but then again nothing in this world is fair, so the "last second machine snipes"pretty much have ruined ebay. Sorry, but I wont stupe that low to save a nickle! again, my opinion!
    Charles LTFB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Charles, in the end you'll win if you're the high bidder and won't if you aren't. End of discussion. What's unfair about that?

If you'd have bid more than you did, you cheated yourself.

And the word is "stoop", not "stupe," which I believe is a slangy way of referring to someone stupid. English orthography is a killer, gets even well-trained native speakers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the entire ebay auction has become a "sniping" game and one I am proud to say I don't do. The system was set up to be fair, but then again nothing in this world is fair, so the "last second machine snipes"pretty much have ruined ebay. Sorry, but I wont stupe that low to save a nickle! again, my opinion!

Sorry, but "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Sniping is part of the game. The highest bid wins whether it was placed in the first second or the last second. If you want to win, outbid. Sniping just keeps the bid low till the end.
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use 'machine snipes'. I watch the auction, using my page refresh button every minute or so, then bid my maximum amount with 20 or 30 seconds to go. What's unethical about that? If I had bid early the price would most likely have gone higher than it did, and I would not have won the auction.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    perhaps they didn't understand the system, it does happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    That is possible, but with 223 feedback points they should know the system by now! Lol!
    Putting on my cynical cap, I'll say that some people are slow learners. I'm actually serious about this, too; I wouldn't be surprised if this person has just never figured out a better way to bid. Of course, other explanations are possible, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a recent very long thread on this topic in which it was hashed to death. I can't resist also tossing in another reference to this page on sniping, which provides an opinion on sniping that closely mirrors my own.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am such a novice, I have never heard of sniping and it shows. I rarely win because I play by the rules. Oh well, I usually put in what I would be willing to pay and take it or lose it. I am not usually as desperate for an item as someone who needs to use sniping to win would be. Maybe I have stumbled on to the real reason "to win".
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The winner is the person who posts the highest bid before the auction closes - it is as simple as that.

eBay's proxy bidding system is designed to generate the maximum profit for eBay - not for the purpose of helping out the buyer! It takes advantage of impulse bidding and compulsive bidding. It also fosters competitive bidding.

If you really want an item, either "Buy It Now" or bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay (make a single bid) in the last 3 seconds of the auction.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I am such a novice, I have never heard of sniping and it shows. I rarely win because I play by the rules. Oh well, I usually put in what I would be willing to pay and take it or lose it. I am not usually as desperate for an item as someone who needs to use sniping to win would be. Maybe I have stumbled on to the real reason "to win".
    Gay,

It really isn't about playing by the rules, because the rules state that the auction ends at the listed time, not 30 seconds before the listed time. If I come along and am willing to pay more, then I will outbid you whether I bid with a day left or 10 seconds. What I gain by sniping, and I do snipe, is that I keep my intentions and interest private. That means that folks who are beginners, who often have a habit of just bidding until they are in front and then stopping, will not have me as a target. I don't win a high percentage of auctions either, because I am looking for a really good deal usually and I am usually bid by someone else who is willing to pay more. Actually, usually I end up not even bidding because my target is passed before I have a chance to snipe.

I understand that it just feels wrong, but once you think about it you realize that you were either willing to go higher and weren't being honest with yourself or that the competetive juices got stirred up and you don't like "losing."

Paul.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin