Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,796   Online: 842

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I am such a novice, I have never heard of sniping and it shows. I rarely win because I play by the rules. Oh well, I usually put in what I would be willing to pay and take it or lose it. I am not usually as desperate for an item as someone who needs to use sniping to win would be. Maybe I have stumbled on to the real reason "to win".
    I am not a novice, and I don't snipe either. Like you, I bid the most I am willing to pay and if someone wants to outbid me, it's theirs. A few times I have gotten an offer from the seller because someone sniped the auction and then refused to pay, but only a few times.

I don't consider sniping wrong, just more like poor manners. But, it's part of the system and everyone is free to choose the way they bid. If eBay worked like a real auction, it wouldn't matter when you bid, only that you did bid. The way I see it is if someone was going to pay more than me, it doesn't really matter when they do it, they still win the auction.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't quite understand, why people get upset over the so called "snipping" of an auction, the format is set up that you can place a bid at anytime that the auction is running, that means from the time it starts to the last second it is available, often times, I will watch an auction and see how it is going, then manually place a bid at the last few seconds, I win some, I loose some, and I don't get upset, if your worried about it, just place the bid your comfortable with, however even if your high bidder right up until the time it ends, you still never owned it, you just made a offer on the item, if someone beats you out at the end, then they made a higher offer and by virtue of the auction style(which by the way is a real auction style) that is the offer the seller has agreed to accept..it is very simular to a sealed auction bid, no one knows who wins until the bids are opened, in the ebay style, no one knows who wins until the time runs out, but at least you have a chance as you know what others in the market are bidding, I really don't see the difference than if we were all standing in a room, had a certain amount of time to bid and we bid against each other, until the auctioneer has said sold, its not sold and still open for bids, until such time as the gavel has fellen. You have to remember, the seller is out to get as much as he can, and the buyer is out to get the best bargin he can, the defenition of bargin falls with the buyer who won the auction.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    Snipeing is a disgusting practice, and in my mind not something to brag about
    the entire ebay auction has become a "sniping" game and one I am proud to say I don't do. The system was set up to be fair, but then again nothing in this world is fair, so the "last second machine snipes"pretty much have ruined ebay. Sorry, but I wont stupe that low to save a nickle! again, my opinion!
    Charles LTFB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    actually the way the ebay system was set up encouraged sniping, even before sniping software came along. Apart from certain very specific types of auction, most "real" auctions don't have a time limiut - they end when the bidding stops. Sniping works to generally ebays advantage (and the way they designed the system) so they aren't going to discourage it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not at all surprised that many of this list practice and support sniping, I don't!. As I said it is my opinion. Dave I am not sure what you mean in what you wrote, when you are in an auction you know who the bidders are and can read their interest in the item, and bid accordingly, to me there is a great deal of of difference! On ebay to be successful you you hide your identity and interest to in my mind "steal" the item at the lowest possible price. According to this list that is what the game is. I am always willing to pay the "fair" industry wide going amount for any item I am bidding on. I am not bidding to steal the item there fore if the game is Sniping I simply won't play. Simply a difference of opinion here, I have stated my opinion. The rest of you disagree, so be it!

Dan F,
    Thanks for the spelling lesson, if any body in the world needs help, it's
    me. I do so much appreciate the superior intellengence displayed by
    this "all knowing group!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Charles,

I am not disagreeing with you, but the dynamics of what a fair price is has changed over the last few years, and yes ebay has made a difference in the real or perceived worth of an item is, I still purchase from people who ask a price and I still pay more than what the going rate is sometime, Just did it the other day on apug, There is an old saying around that pertains to ebay real well, the best deal in the world is the one that both the seller and the buyer are happy with, no matter if it is what the market says it is worth, again, I just happen to have a difference of opinion on stealing an item, I don't understand how anyone can say it was stealing if it is what the seller is willing to sell it for? as long as all parties are happy with the transaction, then I don't see a problem. I often times have people tell me I should raise my prices because they feel like I am to low, but for the most part have maintained most of my price structure, because it is what I am happy in selling my products for. So I never feel someone is stealing it, if I am happy to accept it. If I put something on ebay with no reserve, then it shows I am willing to take what ever someone is willing to pay for it. If I have a certain figure in mind I want for an item, then I put either an opening bid on it, or I place a reserve on the item. I never get unhappy as long as I have set the rules and standards, for which I am willing to sell an item for, and I don't see how what it bid has much to do with it, the sellers know the game as well as most of the buyers do, that is one reason most people who shop at a store always go to the bargin bin first, to see if they can secure the best buy possible on an item that will work for them, the store set the price they are willing to accept and the buyer agrees to pay it if it fits what they want.

Just my opninon as well.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    and by virtue of the auction style(which by the way is a real auction style)
    Very interesting. I didn't know there were live auctions that ended at a set time. All the auctions I have been to only ended when there was no one else willing to bid more, hence my comment about working like a real auction. Thanks for the update, I'll have to find one to see what it's like in person!

My comments were really just meant to say that you don't have to be new at fee-bay to not snipe auctions. I always bid the most I am willing to pay when I see the item I am interested in and however it works out it works out.

The bottom line for me is this, I hold no ill feelings toward people that snipe, I just choose not to.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    Very interesting. I didn't know there were live auctions that ended at a set time. All the auctions I have been to only ended when there was no one else willing to bid more, hence my comment about working like a real auction. Thanks for the update, I'll have to find one to see what it's like in person!

My comments were really just meant to say that you don't have to be new at fee-bay to not snipe auctions. I always bid the most I am willing to pay when I see the item I am interested in and however it works out it works out.

The bottom line for me is this, I hold no ill feelings toward people that snipe, I just choose not to.

- Randy
    Well I guess if you want to call it snipeing, I have place a final bid at a live auction, as the gavel was falling, in hopes that my 50 cent bid would be heard before the gavel has fallen, I really think the term sniping has been brought to the forefront by people who are unhappy because someone beat them out in the final seconds of an auction, wether live or ebay...I have even purchased a car that I wanted while another person was willing to give the asking price and I wanted it, so I offered a bit more than asking price, as I said the best deal in the world is the one that seller and the buyer are happy with..I don't call that unfair, as we all have the ability to pay what we feel an item is worth as long as the seller is willing to accept it. Where I live, we do have three different auction houses that run time based auctions and the bids are open until the time limit runs out, maybe this is where my perception comes from, because the item can sell right until the time limit or until the gavel hits the table. I mean pretty much by definition an auction is just that, a seller puts something up for auction to get as much as they possibly can and a buyer is looking to get something at the best price that can, and it does not matter what format it is, if your wanting to pay the market, then we have the ability to go to a store, any type of auction is set up for just this specific purpose, to bring sellers and buyers together to sell or buy things at a price that is acceptable to both parties.

Sorry, guess just different things in different parts of the world.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are auctions that have a fixed closing time. House purchases in Scotland for example are on a sealed-bid basis: all bids must be in by a certain time and the bids are then opened and the highest bidder wins. Unlike ebay, no one knows what anyone else has bid: essentially, everyone is a sniper...

I do snipe for the reasons given by others above - it reduces the running up of prices by people getting carried away by auction fever. Incidentally, I bid 15 seconds before the auction ends - most snipes go in at the last few seconds so if I bid the same as another sniper, I win... and it's usually too short for a manual bidder to see he has been outbid and increase his bid.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I have place a final bid at a live auction, as the gavel was falling, in hopes that my 50 cent bid would be heard before the gavel has fallen
    <snip>
    Sorry, guess just different things in different parts of the world.

Dave
    You're a braver man than me. I would've been worried about getting Heraldo-ed (sp?) with a chair!

I meant nothing by my comments, by the way, other than to say how I bid. Perhaps it is this method of communication that sort of inherently masks inflections that would otherwise been noticed in person. As I stated above, I hold no ill will towards anyone who thinks or act differently than I do.

- Randy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also, I used the term 'snipe' because I understood it to be a standard term, rather than a derogatory term. I see now that it could be construed as having negative implications. Sorry about any misunderstanding.

- Randy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin