Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,166   Online: 967

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if we really want to discuss to analog vs. digital, tell me a new digital ampllifier sounds better then a pair of 35 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps!!!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Parker; 10-03-2005 at 04:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the real analog purists aren't likely to be on this forum to answer. I do know such people who aren't really comfortable with a computer or if they've bowed to the word processor haven't quite figured out e-mail, let alone the Web.

I use a digital camera (Coolpix 990) mainly for archiving documents. It's way faster than a scanner, and it's much easier to deal with the output than with microfilm, which I used to use for research purposes. I also use it for photographing things I plan to sell online, and I'll occasionally use it for something where a digital file is adequate, like some installation photos I did recently of a friend's exhibition, or to digitize a LF neg or transparency for the web or even for a small offset reproduction, like a postcard. For all these uses, this "old" 3.3 Mpix camera is sufficient. Eventually, I'll probably get a digital body for bird photography. The Canon 5D is coming close to something I'd buy in terms of function, resolution and cost. I don't own any sort of photo-quality printer, but I'll order a LightJet/Chromira print occasionally or a Frontier for something small.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've nothing against digital cameras nor those who choose to make use of them. I just don't find it very satisfying to do photography with a digital camera. The whole process, to me, lacks soul. My problem - not the camera's.

The official, scientific definition of time is quantized and thus, digital in nature.

And back around the turn of the century a couple of relatively famous scientists showed the light itself exhibits certain behaviours that suggest that it is quantized. In a sense, everything is quantized (i.e. digital) if you look at it at asmall enough scale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm mildly considering a low end digital camcorder with still feature. Figure it'll get hooked up to a PDA. But then it'll be just quick snapshots to remind me of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As I grow older and am daily less phisycal fit, I find that my beloved big boxes are more work than I am really able to do. The thought of digital is getting more and more attractive to me. I made some people pictures awhile back, and was amazed with the flesh tones etc. When I gave the camera back to the owner, he asked "what do you think?" What else could I say but that they were acceptable."well are you ready to buy now? along with I bettcha can't do that with one of those ancient cameras of yours" I just grinned and said when they get up to a hundred pixels or so I'll look at them again. And I just might! My wife has a Nikon 5800 and she loves it, however I am not smart enough to use it! And she wont let me any way!

Waugh, my order of film from J & C was just delivered! That is like very quick!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much as I hate to admit it, sometimes I can feel the power of the dark side pulling me in it's insidious direction. When I've scanned a negative to see more quickly what it'll look like as a print, I use basic levels and curves to get a decent idea of what's there. Then...in the darkroom...the frustration of not being able to get those same, easy results without a struggle makes photoshop, a siren song. Still....when I've succeeded (which is more often than not) I feel that much more rewarded for having committed to the task traditionally, and a little ashamed of how tempted I was to be a slut for the software.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I am not a purist, I think.
    I use PS as a presentation tool. I also use it when I make folders/brochures for my school or postcards for my self. Why have others to do what you can do better your self?
    I use a scanner. For my negatives - mostly for a cheap and quick way of doing "contact sheets" - my eyes are failing me, so the fact that I can enlarge in the scan is appealing..

how ever: I dont own a digital camera. and I will NEVER get one for serious work!
    for me digital pictures has two purposes (the ones I use it for, and when; I take the 1.2(!!)m "camera" that the school has).
    1: for documenting. (mostly I use it to take snapshote of the students at partyes and such, or small images for use in a brochure..)
    2: if my originals are too big to be scanned (web purpose)..
    but I guess the "2" is the same as nr "1".....

so to me digital is fun'n games. nothing more.
    I NEED a negative!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I've nothing against digital cameras nor those who choose to make use of them. I just don't find it very satisfying to do photography with a digital camera. The whole process, to me, lacks soul. My problem - not the camera's.
    I feel the same way, but for me there is still the issue of image quality. Even the 16MP Cannon Ds MkII can't compete with the level of sharpness that Fuji Velvia is capable of resolving, much less color depth. There just isn't anything that can beat looking at a bunch of transpariences laid out on a light table.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Well, if we really want to discuss to analog vs. digital, tell me a new digital ampllifier sounds better then a pair of 35 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps!!!

Dave
    OK.

Dave, a new digital ampllifier sounds better then a pair of 35 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps!!!

Now you can go out and buy an new 500wpc Krell and send me the Levinsons to dispose of in a humane fashion. I'll need to listen for a while, maybe a couple of decades, to confirm my statement.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    a pair of 35 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps!!!

Dave
    mmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin