Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,742   Online: 808

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I have nothing against digital. It's just that to me, the photography part aint there yet.

When it is, I may reconsider.

MIchael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fifteen years ago when I first started programming computers, I thought the computer/digital world was a revolutionary force for much needed change. I have been re-assessing my earlier enthusiasm. The paperless revolution was a myth; a computerized work space wastes more time than the earlier paper-pushers in any bureaucracy; and Gates' desktop software is a nightmare of inefficiency. There are some benefits such as the internet; but many other forms of inter-connectivity (eg, cell-phones) are a detrimental infringement of a peaceful life. I am becoming more of a traditionalist as concerns personal lifestyle.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    and Gates' desktop software is a nightmare of inefficiency. There are some benefits such as the internet; but many other forms of inter-connectivity (eg, cell-phones) are a detrimental infringement of a peaceful life. I am becoming more of a traditionalist as concerns personal lifestyle.
    Great statements!!!
    I used to have a Palm Pilot (2 of 'em), and a Sony something. I gave up the electronics and did something absurb and I never looked back. I got a Day Runner and a pen. What a concept! Never needs batteries, I can write something in it instantly. Well, the pen thing I'm fond of. I like good pens. My usual writing pen is an Rapidograph 00. My darn Palm Pilot keep on needing batteries or died when I needed the most. My cell phone dies when I need it the most. My DVD's skip just at the best part of the movies. Dang man

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    many other forms of inter-connectivity (eg, cell-phones) are a detrimental infringement of a peaceful life.
    ...and just try getting a cell phone that only makes calls, forget text messages, dvd's. photos, etc. etc.

OTOH...I'm still waiting for Woody Allen's prophesied 'orgasmitron'...THERE!S a useful invention!!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi. I'm Joe.....and I own a digital camera...<head lowered>...

The paradox of digital, for me, is that its easier to take acceptable snapshots with the digital camera, but I'm not really happy with the end product. The family likes all of the relatively well lit photos of Aunt Bessie that can be distributed before the family get together is over. But, they're not really GOOD photographs; I'M not happy!

I have one, and only one, halfway decent photo of my grandmother. I have dozens of pics, mind you, but only one good shot. It was taken with my Yashica 124G and Fuji NPH film. Its nothing special; just an image of her, relaxing in a chair, working on a Bible search-a-word puzzle book. But the relaxed facial expression and the warmth of the room, pretty faithfully rendered by our friends at Fuji, just speaks to me. I just don't get the FEEL from digital...and I don't know why.

I enjoy the Stones on digital. But I really feel good, when I'm playing them on my turntable; scrathces and all. Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 is just better on vinyl...it just is! And I will never own a digital recording of Deep Purple's Machine Head! When the record wears out, I stop listening!

So, for me, its an emotional connection with my past. I don't find it simpler, or more efficient or effective, or anything, just better. I suppose our children will have no such issues with their photography/art/music/youfillintheblank...because they will be living and remembering their era (and with any luck, a piece of ours), which really won't have that much analog to speak of...Too bad for them. But, alas, our grandparents probably said the same about us.

I'll continue to shoot digital for practicality, but will always shoot analog because/for my emotional connection to photography...

Does any of this make sense?????????

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Well, if we really want to discuss to analog vs. digital, tell me a new digital ampllifier sounds better then a pair of 35 watt Mark Levinson Tube amps!!!

Dave
    You tellem Dave, I've been a tube freak for a long time. Hellen Keller could tell the difference and she's dead. Want a digital picture of my CR developments tube amps? LOL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I feel the same way, but for me there is still the issue of image quality. Even the 16MP Cannon Ds MkII can't compete with the level of sharpness that Fuji Velvia is capable of resolving, much less color depth. There just isn't anything that can beat looking at a bunch of transpariences laid out on a light table.
    Oh, yes...of course. Totally agree.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HI
    I have a digital camera that is a few years old, I don't think of it as old, around five years old,maybe, and uses floppy disk to hold the pictures and is great for ebay or for a picture of some thing I need to email that day. my other is in my phone,my grand daughter love's it, but most of them are just a quick picture. the best picture I've taken of her so far is a b/w taken with a TLR that was made in the 3O's. and as far as other digital things go, I can take it or leave it. and most of the time I do leave them, they just don't have that much of appeal to me, maybe all that plastic.... no soul like some one said earlier...
    Melanie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyk49
    I enjoy the Stones on digital. But I really feel good, when I'm playing them on my turntable; scrathces and all. Chicago's 25 or 6 to 4 is just better on vinyl...it just is! And I will never own a digital recording of Deep Purple's Machine Head! When the record wears out, I stop listening!
    Yes, I have a copy of "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vida" (the 15 minute version, of course) on CD and you can still hear the original tape player hum in the background. Great ... has a definite feeling you don't get from the CD.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    The only concession I have made to digital photography at this time is to avoid being involved. I think there may be some very definite advantages to a hybrid system. I would very much like to be able to make masks with digital for printing color negatives that would give me the range of densities that would print as I wish them, incorporate any burning and dodging that I wish to do and to have sufficient density so that one could eliminate color impurities caused by the color negative and printing paper characteristics.

I would find the same type of help to be useful for masking in b&w.

At this point I have not read about a hybrid system of this type for color negative printing.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin