Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,289   Online: 885

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Images

How much of an analog purist are you?

I know this is Analog Photography. I love film and conventional printing, but I'm not weird about it. If I thought digital made a better picture, I'd consider switching. I'm not a purist.

I use a computer in my work, altho I design analog electronics. I listen to CDs and MP3s because they are convenient, but I still have a turntable. I do have only analog watches (not just the face, but the second hand moves smoothly, like time). I use a digital cell phone because analog doesn't work as many places. My car has a bunch of micros in it. My darkroom timer is digital. (You realize, some people say time is digital in nature?) My woodshop is analog and so is my bicycle. The food I eat is analog. My pets are analog. My light meter is digital. My shutters are analog. The government tells me my TV will be digital. My radio is analog.

So, how much has digital invaded your life?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if I thought digital made a better picture I wouldn't switch. There's no skill or satisfaction in getting a computer to do everything for you. My light meter is analogue, as are my cameras. I don't have a single camera which requires batteries for anything other than metering. My DR timer is analogue.
    As for digital in other areas... I listen to shortwave radio quite a lot. I have a mobile phone, but rarely use it. I have CDs but prefer my turntable and vinyl, I also have a collection of 78s which I play on a wind-up gramophone.
    My TV signal is going digital but for now I still watch the analogue signal because the digital signal is total crap and when it gets 'atmospherics' it pixellates, freezes and loses sound, whereas the analogue signal might get a little 'snow' in the picture but it's still watchable and doesn't lose sound.
    I wear an analogue watch, when I can be bothered to wear a watch. I cycle rather than use my car for journeys of 15 miles or less. I also walk a lot. I prefer using cash to plastic.

My only real concession to the digital age is this Infernal Machine I am sat in front of now.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is possible to not have some sort of digital invade our lives now a days, I have a DVD, I have CD, and I have a Digital Satelite....My car has a computer that runs it as does the heating system in my house, the dishwasher has a computer that does all the various functions....I have an 11 computer network system between the house and the shop, but when it comes to photography, I still shoot film either negative or positive, if I feel an inclination to display on the computer I scan them and I still feel there is a difference between photography and imageology, as I said, I don't think it is possible to NOT have digital in our lives now a days, we just make different choices on what is digital and what is analog...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find digital quite useful. In fact I lug that darn camera around with me most times. Reason.... If hubby is along it keeps him amused. If son is along it keeps him amused. If a stranger comes up, I snap a quick shot and hand the camera to them, and they are amused and leave me alone. I think everyone should have a digigizmo for those reasons.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Digital seems to have crept into our lives unannounced, and for the most part we’ve accepted it. Everyone has a computer and is online (or we wouldn’t be reading this). Even my gas cook stove has a digital chip in it. But in those cases where I can choose, I avoid the “D” word.

I’ve never touched digital photography in any form; I don’t even have a scanner. But I’ll eventually get one, if only to post my analogue work online.

Very confusing times.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use digital for all my digital images, and a darkroom or Polaroid for all my photography. I have only used digital to captur items I want to sell on ebay, or to document item for work. The images lack meaning to me. I'm not going to comment on digital in other areas in my life because its irrelevant to photography and will quickly land this topic in the S*** box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Purity is over rated. Use the tool that gets the job done the way you want it done. If it's film, fine. If it's digital, go for it. Computers don't do the work for you, they're just tools - sometimes good tools, sometimes the wrong choice. I shoot film because I like it. If I worked on a deadline for commercial printing and the end result was going to digitized anyway (most public images we see - no matter what the source, have been digitized for printing) I might just shoot digital.

That doesn't mean I'd stop shooting film.

True luddites are the ones smashing the machines because they think the machines are the problem. Machines aren't the problem, it's the idiots with the machines. I have to keep telling myself, every time I hear some fool yelling into his phone in the supermarket, asking his wife whether he should buy the green beans or not, that he would be just as much a fool without the phone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man I am so analog that I log into Apug, open a forum, print it out, and then read it! Yah man, I print it on a a mimeograph machine. I can't get the darn blue stains off my hands

No, really, I carry my digital all the time. I want to get another one, cheapo one, like the kid's one they sell at Target just for grab shots and they are great for posting pix for my blog so my family and friends can see what a dork I am. Ever see that 640x480 website? That's all I really need for web posting. And besides, I have the Lomo script for GIMP that converts my shots so they have that crappy Lomo look to it.

Images
    Outside of photography I tend to avoid most things digital except for my alarm clock, and DVD player and computer. Other digital stuff has been forced on me but I have no problem with it.

Now with photography-
    I have no need for a digital camera of any kind. I do print some color on digital medai but that is because it is silly easy to do. Real prints are done by a wet lab.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange
    True luddites are the ones smashing the machines because they think the machines are the problem. Machines aren't the problem, it's the idiots with the machines. I have to keep telling myself, every time I hear some fool yelling into his phone in the supermarket, asking his wife whether he should buy the green beans or not, that he would be just as much a fool without the phone.
    LOL Whitey... I agree.

I use whatever works for me. I have tried digital photography but something is lost.... just not interested... I only use it for a quick snapshot for Ebay.

Now radios, I use an old 1930's philco "tombstone" that I restored. Pulls in more stations than the computerized tuners...

Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin