Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,584   Online: 766

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In the words of AA, The Print is the performance... Now, this is just my humble opinion, but, I'm sure glad Van Cliburn's "Performance" of the Rachmaninoff 3rd Piano Concerto with the Chicago Symphony wasn't done on a Digital Piano! Even on one of "Today's" digital pianos... 20 years after the Digital Revolution ended in the music biz.

Images
    Uhh at least he can take a good picture, because his writing and reasoning skills suck.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Hmmm, so now I am a zealot because I prefer analog, can do better with it than most digitoids and can argue it's many advantages?.....Get a life and go back to Photo.net, we dont need trolls like you here!
    Jorge, Unlike you, who described me as being a troll, I did not accuse you of being a zealot. Your actions, rather than my words, define you. That is the good news . . . perhaps also the bad news.

I suggested some might find this man's thoughts to be interesting even if they were not in agreement with their own. It was also suggested that all but the most "hardcore zealots" (you might read that as "closed minded fanatics") might find it worth a read. His ideas are just that . . . ideas. Not really the kind of thing most would get the panties all balled up about. Bill Barber

Images
    here we go again.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    which all but the most hardcore zealots on this users group might find worthy of a read
    That's what the legal people might call entrapment... Almost as if it was a statement calculated to upset some people, providing an opportunity to complain when someone takes the bait... Hmmmmm... now, what kind of poster uses that kind of tactic?

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit
    Jorge, Unlike you, who described me as being a troll, I did not accuse you of being a zealot. Your actions, rather than my words, define you. That is the good news . . . perhaps also the bad news.

I suggested some might find this man's thoughts to be interesting even if they were not in agreement with their own. It was also suggested that all but the most "hardcore zealots" (you might read that as "closed minded fanatics") might find it worth a read. His ideas are just that . . . ideas. Not really the kind of thing most would get the panties all balled up about. Bill Barber
    Well see, here is the thing. Every now and then we get a guy like you who cannot stand it that there is an all analog site come and try to show us how they are the "voice of reason" and how we should read "interesting" pro digital opinions. Trust me, you are not the first one to try this in this site.

You might not have call me specifically a "zealot" but you certainly seem to imply there are some in this site, well I might be one of them. OTOH at least I am not pretending to sound smart by responding with the now worn and dull phrase "this says something more about you than me", this is pseudo psychology BS most often used by those who think this is a "clever" response. In the end it just shows a lack of originality.

Of course you then try to compound your zealot comment with "closed minded fanatic"...well let me tell you bubba, sometimes the great open mindedness you exhibit is nothing more than a sign that there is just air passing between the ears, with plenty of open space to rattle around.

Whitherhill's reasoning is so full of holes it is funny, and while you might find it "interesting" I find his "ideas" silly and given his examples (specially the color work) a perfect example of digital photography gone nuts, but I do take offense from someone like you coming to this site and telling us how we are zealots and "closed minded." Like I said, get a life and go back to PN, I am sure you are welcome there....

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    ... Hmmmmm... now, what kind of poster uses that kind of tactic?
    Me: (waving hand in the air) I know, I know!!!

and with a smile I bid a fond farewell to this thread; those who wish to stay, enjoy the fireworks!

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    That's what the legal people might call entrapment... Almost as if it was a statement calculated to upset some people, providing an opportunity to complain when someone takes the bait... Hmmmmm... now, what kind of poster uses that kind of tactic?

Bob.
    Hmm, perhaps you could in a PM explain what part of my response to Jorge you saw as being a complaint. In answer to your question, I would say a poster who has a broad interest in photography and is open to all ideas not just those which happen to agree with my particular point of view. That point of view, in this case, happens to be an evolving one. Is that what you were thinking? Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Print Prices

It is interesting that his silver prints cost more than his pigment prints. It seems to me that he values the silver print over the inkjet print. In my estimated there is a link between value and quality. He contends that digital methods are just another toolset for producing a product. It seems to me at some point the process commodifies the photographic product thus eventually devaluing it. Although one can argue it becomes easier to make photographs, but not necessarily easier to make quality photographs. As most people have learned in life easier does not always mean better.

The guy where I buy my photo supplies locally is very much old school although he does PS work. I was there one day when he was printing off some stuff on his big Epson and another customer came in. The customer just raved about the computer print and Larry told him you should see how much better it would look coming from the darkroom. After the customer left, Larry and I talked about how the one hour photo lab has lowered the consumers expectations paving the way for digital to be considered on par with analog by the average consumer. As much as Larry prefers analog over digital products he has had to add these services to stay competitive.

I have never made any fine art prints, so I do not speak from experience, but I can't imagine that it costs more to make a silver print. Ink for the Epson printers at our school's graphics lab is so expensive and we go through so much of it they have a camera pointed at the supply cabinet to discourage pilferage. We have 16 enlargers between two darkrooms with lots of chemicals and small equipment and there are no cameras pointed toward there doors.

I am not arguing that there is no place for digital prints, but I contend that they should never replace silver.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I vote to re-elect Sherriff Jorge and the rest of the posse...good work!

Murray

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin