Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,841   Online: 793

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Better known as the kickstand syndrome.
    Michael
    Hmm. I'd have thought in photography circles it would have been called the tripod syndrome. Or in hockey "keeping your stick on the ice".

Didn't recall that Blansky was a cyclist.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    "keeping your stick on the ice"
    LOL!!!

ching, ching ching!!! That one deserved a small donation to your tip jar.

Images
    Damn it blansky!

Okay I tried the bath thing but the wife walked in on the camera and I. the embarassment was too much to handle.

On a serious note I do practice seeing all the time. Problem is I Get under the darkcloth and things change. because i am not used to seeing the image on the GG.

The polaroid idea is a good one. I have been meaning to get some just never got around to it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I tried the digital camera idea but I HATE THOSE THINGS and got nothing out of it. basically it was a photographic spanish fly: Whole lot of talk and no satisfaction.
    For some, the ability to look at a small LCD and judge composition and lighting rather then by a viewfinder is a plus. It's something about having as much time as you want to review the scene then the real time in the viewfinder. In the old days we would use polaroids; now we can use digital. Regardless, and knowingly putting myself in harms way, if it helps to save on precious film expenditures and processing in tight budgets then it's a useful tool, although you may only expose film for the picture. I find that I take many pictures that in review later after developing show problems here or there that I had overlooked in my haste and wished I hadn't, so, my little digital has become nothing more then a preview tool, whether used as a recording device for preview or as simply a right side up screen when shooting LF and attached with some velcro. If you wish to make sure your not tempted to use it as a camera, just buy a very small memory card, or use none at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    On a serious note I do practice seeing all the time. Problem is I Get under the darkcloth and things change. because i am not used to seeing the image on the GG.
    Although its a pale imitation, if you use a waistlevel finder on a roll film camera to do your "warm-up" photography, the switch to a laterally reversed image, and the different geometry of a waist-level approach, may help you get back into the flow.

Sort of like those exercises you do to increase flexibility before playing golf

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't get to shoot as much as I'd like, but one thing that helps me keep in the spirit if nothing else is to keep my cameras sitting out so I can look at them and play with them whenever the mood strikes (but I live alone, so have no spouse/spousal equivalent to complain about the 8x10 on its tripod in the dining room). Every once in a while I'll take a pic or two of something utterly prosaic like the patio furniture I can see from the dining room, even if I've got no film loaded. It makes for a good warm-up exercise. I also find it useful to get out and hit the road with the camera for an extended period of time on my vacations - when I'm using it every day for ten days straight, it keeps me sharp for the down-times between trips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin