Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 843

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like to give prints to women who give me their homemade preserves.

These are the ladies who, in my childhood, gave me a book instead of a cap pistol for Christmas.

Make of that what you like...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just make sure it's not that self portrait you took...the one with you wearing the jingle bell thong and the naughty elf toys...that would be tacky!

Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It's only tacky if it's digital.

Images
    I don't think that it is tacky at all and I would _much_ rather receive a gift like that than the crappy stuff that they only put on the store shelves at Christmas time because no one would actually ever buy it for themselves during the rest of the year. ("Clapper" light switches, Chia Pets, Electronic counter-top frozen pizza cookers, mounted rubber fish that sing humorous songs etc, etc.). That stuff is expensive and utterly meaningless.

On the other hand, I'm always a bit worried that friends will feel obligated to put it up on their wall just for my benefit (Obviously, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they didn't hang the thing, but I have many friends who are much more thoughtful than I deserve). I think that from now on, I will only give matted but unframed prints. That takes away the possible inference that I expect them to hang it. If they frame and hang it, then I'll know that they want to view it regularly in their home. Of course, if they get a crack in their plaster and need something to stick up in front of it to cover it up, my print will come in handy
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I certainly hope it's not tacky - I'll be giving my father a print for his 75th birthday next week!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do find that it's better if you don't give everyone the SAME print in the SAME year. Make of that what you like.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How on earth could anyone think that giving a print for Christmas is tacky?! There's no better gift than something that you've made yourself. The picture itself, the mount, the frame or a big flourishing signature and a silly name of the image could be tacky, but the act of giving someone else a picture that you've taken isn't tacky at all. I agree with Bruce though, giving everyone the same image would be a bit iffy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Giving a print as a present is exactly the best present we can give.

( what's kinda tacky is thinking we can all sell our work at a gallery ! )

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    You can increase the recipient's joy, of course, by selecting subject matter that will resonate with them personally
    I was going to say, yes, by all means, particularly if a print has already been admired by the recipient.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tacky? Probably 'cause I do it all the time

I charge money for my prints (plates) and everybody knows it. When I give one away, folks know it's value.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin