Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,324   Online: 876

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    On the other hand, I'm always a bit worried that friends will feel obligated to put it up on their wall just for my benefit (Obviously, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they didn't hang the thing, but I have many friends who are much more thoughtful than I deserve). I think that from now on, I will only give matted but unframed prints. That takes away the possible inference that I expect them to hang it.
    That's a good idea and pretty much solves the only drawback to giving a print. After all, almost anything you can give other than a gift certificate is at risk of not being used (hence, the returns counters everywhere) so a print would be no different. Geez, it's a gift, anyway. If the recipient has a problem with receiveing a print, the problem lies more with them than with you, I think.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I gave my mum a box of 18 10x8in black & white prints for her birthday a couple of months ago. They were all photographs taken in and around her house in France. She had been complaining that she always saw me taking all these pictures, but never saw the pictures, so I thought I'd solve the problem in one fell swoop!

I liked the idea of giving them to her in a presentation box, because that way I can add to the collection over time. Probably wouldn't do it for anyone other than my mother!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My worry is the same as Flotsam's, that the print will not be to their taste and end up being hung because of the source rather than the content.

The only times I've done this I gave out blank preprinted calendars (bought quite cheaply from Lidl actually! ) with a print spraymounted on for each month. That way if a print isn't to the recipient's liking they only have to suffer it for a month and then on to the next!

It was very well received (to the point where a few people complained that they didn't want to turn the pages over at the end of the month!) but I ended up doing nine of the things...! Even working in 5x7 MGWT RC it was still a marathon and I'm in no hurry to do it again!

I'm doing a couple of prints (toned fibre) as gifts for people at the moment, but only in cases where they've explicitly asked me for them. Mind you, I don't actually show my prints to anyone unless they explicitly ask to see them, so maybe it's just me!
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have members of family that consider it tacky, if I DON"T give them a print during the holidays....

Shooter
    Multi Format

not tacky at all!

When I visited my inlaws(Chile!)in february,I wanted to give them something which showed my home town-but,I also wanted it to be personal.
    So,I took some photos of a few of the more interesting buildings,and enlarged them to 8x10-they were delighted.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Images
    Every time I think my older brother has too many of my pictures he will see one he does not have and then ask for a print. WHat can I say? he's bigger than me. I'm broke too (thanks GWB) so am giving prints this year as well. No frames though.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoPete
    is it too tacky to give your work as a gift?
    Not in the LEAST! I have found over the years, that people have gushed, to my embarrassment, of the prints or pottery that I have made and given as gifts. I have given individual coffee mugs that I hand threw, glazed and fired, individually printed and mounted unique Polaroid transfers, individually printed and mounted IR prints to my staff over the years.

For my secretary, I have given her specially made prints and also hand thrown clay tea pots, since she puts up with a lot more crap than I would have put up with (from me that is).

I don't think it's tacky wjatsoever and in today's consumerism world, I think people appreciate the time you'd put in to make these unique gifts.

Make and mount prints, it shows you have a heart of gold (even though you may not have a pocketful!)

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a brilliant idea...Rather than shop around for some impersonal stuff that you could give, a print is something that you will invest some of yourself in.

Quite frankly, I only give prints to those people that are very important to me, not that my prints are anything great, but they are much more personal than a lot of other things. IMHO, you give of yourself emotionally, and thus, it is only something that you give to people with whom you have a strong bond.

Just my $0.02

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tacky? Only if your prints have no value.
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Tacky? Only if your prints have no value.
    Graeme, you're speaking to the core of my concerns. They have value to me, but the recipient may feel differently.
    Last edited by PhotoPete; 10-08-2005 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin