Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,539   Online: 1047

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I certainly hope it's not tacky - I'll be giving my father a print for his 75th birthday next week!
    It's only tacky if it has Blueberry Jam on the back instead of drymount tissue or photo corners!

(Sorry Ole, I just can't get over that one!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    A few years back I took a photo of my father fly fishing off a dock in Virginia. Six months later he died. Last summer I spent two days making the best print I could from that negative. I mounted it and put it in a high end frame and gave it to my sister for Christmas. She started crying before it was half unwrapped. Yeah, photographs are good presents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    It's only tacky if it has Blueberry Jam on the back instead of drymount tissue or photo corners!
    It's also tacky to give these kinds of prints in the exchange! Oh the stories you guys have told me!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Gift prints

It would depend on the subject matter of the print. I've seen plenty of prints that were tacky (putting it mildly) and insensitive- yet technically excellent.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Hird
    Tacky? Only if your prints have no value.
    Define value?

A print made by the giver and selected for me is of incalcuable value!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally I think it's a great gift. It is something that is personal, meaningful, comes from your heart, and can't be purchased just anywhere.

Also, if your work is something you usually sell, it also has a monetary value. so it qualifies as a present in that regard. I mean, if you owned a shoe company, what's wrong with giving all of your friends a pair of shoes for their birthday?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i echo a lot of others here .... NO, it's not tacky. Years ago I gave my best friends a framed 8x10 from one of my favourite 4x5 negs as a gift. It still hangs in their home in Brampton, Ontario, and every time I visit, it gives me a warm feeling, and adds to the value of our relationship.

Earl
    Go Leafs Go!
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Define value?

A print made by the giver and selected for me is of incalcuable value!
    Exactly my point. If the giver of the print believes the print has value, then it is a worthy gift never to be given lightly.

If you don't value your prints, you're either a beginner and should not give them out, or you're in the wrong game (give up now if you don't think your work is any good ... )

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to give mason jars of homemade salsa and lottery scratch off tickets, but I once gave a photograph of hybrid tea rose, and the gift shall remain timeless. Giving photographs is truly a gift of memory from the heart. Photographers who share their work with loved ones, are giving a gift far greater than something purchased at numerous commercial outlets.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lkorell
    Personally I think it's a great gift. It is something that is personal, meaningful, comes from your heart, and can't be purchased just anywhere.

Also, if your work is something you usually sell, it also has a monetary value. so it qualifies as a present in that regard. I mean, if you owned a shoe company, what's wrong with giving all of your friends a pair of shoes for their birthday?
    Giving prints to friends is one thing (IMHO not at all tacky, because as so many others here have said, it's a gift from the heart and shows the effort you went to - making something with your own hands as a gift), but giving shoes to people if you own a shoe store is very different. That says you lack creativity and/or are trying to dump excess inventory at the end of the year. THAT's tacky!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin