Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,131   Online: 895

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Is it tacky to give prints as presents?

I am stone broke this Christmas, so I am considering giving prints (in inexpensive AC Moore frames) as presents- is it too tacky to give your work as a gift?

Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've spent too much money and too much time on printing in the darkroom. Everyone on my list gets a print, and the best part... no shopping at the mall!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    even if you werent broke, giving prints is cool at christmas

Images
    Good Evening, Peter,

I don't know if it's tacky or not, but I have, on a couple of occasions, given five different mounted and matted 11 x 14 prints as wedding presents (photos of the weddings of my niece and my nephew); both couples were appreciative. I don't see any reason that high-quality prints would be inappropriate as Christmas presents.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's only tacky if the prints are bad, and made without care.

You can increase the recipient's joy, of course, by selecting subject matter that will resonate with them personally. With cost being an issue, I'd stop at a nice matte, and let the recipient frame the print to their own taste.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cannot think of a more personal and unique gift then one of your personal photographs. In fact, I think that they have more value then the traditional trinket. For me, I only give my prints to very special people who understand that one of my unique photographs is an extension of me.
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    It's only tacky if the prints are bad, and made without care.

You can increase the recipient's joy, of course, by selecting subject matter that will resonate with them personally. With cost being an issue, I'd stop at a nice matte, and let the recipient frame the print to their own taste.

In fact (and I think this is consistent with the intent of rbarker) even a bad print isn't tacky if it's made with care and has subject matter chosen to resonate with the recipient.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Even if I didn't believe that giving a print you made is a wonderful gift, A gift is a gift and everyone should appreciate the thought and effort of a gift. Of course not everyone does so I guess you have to consider the recipent. Would they appreciate your work? Do they know the time, money and effort that goes into it? Family members should and I say give to family members regardless for posterity.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it better not be tacky I've been doing it for years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank god, I can take pictures, cause if I couldn't, no body would have got a present for the last 10 years!!1

Prints are perfectly acceptable for presents, and sometimes, they are the presents that mean the most..

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin