Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,160   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge, I’m not trying to “mess with you”, I’m just trying to learn something. I was unaware of the ill feelings pointed out by RichSBV. But my impression, viewing the original thread in mid-stream, was that the poster was being “flamed”. Apparently justified in this case.

Wayne, you’re right, I arrived after the hotlink had been removed, so I was confused about the response, and the postings that followed.

Laz127, thanks for the info. That was the PERFECT explanation, and just what I wanted to know.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Jorge,

I am not cavalier at all, I am, however realistic, and if you start to make ground glass, I would support you and beat you in the market place, of course I have measures in place to prevent linking to my images, when needed........and using my knowledge to sell you product..

The one thing that I am confused about is the don't Fu*k with me statement, and NO I am not trying to start a fight here, but just wondering..

Dave
    Regardless of whether you have measures in your web site to prevent hotlinking, you have avoided the question, I am sure you would not have liked it much if someone used one of your pictures without your permission regardless of your measures.

As to beating me, well, I am sure your glasses are very good, but nothing beats a ground glass etched with Hydrofluoric acid, so if I wanted to compete with you, this would be the way I would go and most likely give you a run for your money.

As to the "do not mess with me" remark, I took excpetion to resemmerfield saying I was "flaming" the guy when all I was doing is standing up for my rights.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    true, but anyone who has been around these forums and others for a while knows the identity of the perpetrator.

Quote Originally Posted by RichSBV
    You're all right about the 'hot linking'. It is without doubt (to me) unethical.

What is missed with tha thread though was intent. There are bad feelings between the poster and the owner of the photo. The poster was hiding behind a false name and obviously posted the comment and photo for the sole purpose of antagonizing the photo owner. That was revealed in the thread but not co clearly. The overall result was the whole thread was deleted as it should have been. Things like this probably wouldn't happen if people were forced into using their real names, or at least tracable 'handles'. I don't particulary like spreading around full real names myself, but neither do I hide behind a false one... That whole thread was simply a childish 'button pushing' that luckily backfired into the posters face. It's just a shame that the moderators didn't reveal his true identity!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Okay Jorge,

I have not said anything about your product and will not get in to a street brawl with you....

And I still have my doubts, if you could give me a "Run for my money" on the glass etching..as you to my knowledge have not seen a piece of glass that I have made, but that is here or there, as this was not about glass, you brought that point up.

Good shooting..

Dave
    You are the one who brough this up, I was just making an example and you were the one talking tough about how you would beat me. Like I said, I am sure you have a good product but from what I understand you use a grinding method as opposed to an etching method. I have owned both kind of glasses and the difference is like night and day, but then etching with HF is extremely dangerous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    The photo was mine. The photo is and was originally intended for the BTZS site. I had asked Dave at the BTZS to size it small because of the crappy scan. John Stafford decided that he was entitled to use my photo any way he wanted and actually posted the picture with the thread in a size far bigger than it was intended. When you saw the thread the actual picture had been removed and all that remained was the link to the photo in the BTZS.

Given that it was my photo, that it was intended for another site and that it was supposed to be posted in a very specific manner, I dont see how you can say I "Flamed" the guy because I demanded what is within my rights.

Let me give you a hint, the Jorge over there and the Jorge over here are the same guy, you do not want to mess with me.
    Jorge, everything posted on the internet is at risk of being misused. Until, that is, there are software protections in place to prevent misuse. You exposed your work to misuse. It was misused. Tough luck. The only protection I know of is not to post. If you were not such a nice guy, you'd not have received bad treatment and wouldn't be upset now.

Sorry,

Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Jorge, everything posted on the internet is at risk of being misused. Until, that is, there are software protections in place to prevent misuse. You exposed your work to misuse. It was misused. Tough luck. The only protection I know of is not to post. If you were not such a nice guy, you'd not have received bad treatment and wouldn't be upset now.

Sorry,

Dan
    I am not upset, the ones upset are those who apparently beleive I should not have said anything. As to whether I am a nice guy or not, I do not need more friends, I got all I need so I really dont give a rat's ass if you think I am nice or not, as a matter of fact why dont you just take your opinion of me an shove it....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    I am not upset, the ones upset are those who apparently beleive I should not have said anything. As to whether I am a nice guy or not, I do not need more friends, I got all I need so I really dont give a rat's ass if you think I am nice or not, as a matter of fact why dont you just take your opinion of me an shove it....
    Thanks for the unmerited ad hominem attack. Please reconsider your position.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is certainly unethical to hotlink to an image not on your server without permission of the server owner (and by extension the copyright owner). Links to pages are the foundation of the web and are certainly ethical in my mind.

Depending on what web server you are running it is very easy to prevent direct hotlinking of an image. You may block a few legitimate users with certain privacy settings (in theory - but I haven't seen it), but it seems worth it to me. As was pointed out one hotlinked file could cost you a lot of money if it gets on a popular site. There are many sites that detail how to do this for the various web servers.

Jorge, maybe you should request that BZTS enable this protection in exchange for using your images. It could save them some money as well. Given they are running iis it should be easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I participated in that "debate" on the other forum. I can understand why Jorge was not happy with the way his photo was used. And I think he had every right to voice his displeasure.

The discussion was pretty civil until the original "infringing party" showed his true colors and reverted to his well-known 9 year old behavior. He spent the rest of the thread calling me out and telling me (and others) to "step outside." Thankfully the thread was erased because it deteriorated into name calling and just plain stupidity.

But some good issues involving copyright infringement were brought up, which could have led to an educational, useful thread.

And yes, I use my real name here and on other forums.
    Dean Tomasula
    The Place for Pix
    Stock and Fine Art Photography

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Thanks for the unmerited ad hominem attack. Please reconsider your position.
    Well tell me, what do you expect? In your wishy washy manner you imply I am not a nice guy, when you dont even know me. Additionally, you imply that if I am "nice" people would not have a reason to "steal" my images. This has got to be about the dumbest thing I have ever seen written on a forum.

I guess you must think that things like personal responsibility, respect for other people's property and rights and making even just a little bit of an effort to think what is right and wrong are things that should be sacrificed in the name of politcal correctness and being "nice".

Sorry bubba, you are barking up the wrong tree, not only will I not reconsider but you are now welcome to my ignore list, the one best feature of this web site.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin