Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 763

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    I must have past my 10,000th negative or something because, after making photos for...geez, since I was just about twelve years old, I seem to have produced a photo that, well, people actually seem to like. I have it in our living room and it seems like every third or fourth female that sees it asks if I would photograph them...
    Can you post a scan?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt
    Can you post a scan?
    Yes. It has been in my gallery for a while. You can see it here. I have a 16x20 print resting on the mantle at home. I was hoping to, just maybe, find some public place that would allow me to display it - like a library or something?

Anyway, I'm not even sure what attracts others to it. I know why I like it but I really don't know what it is about it that makes about 80% of my wife's friends who've seen it want me to photograph them. Maybe they've just never seen a LF portrait before and are blown away by the difference between it and the crap you get from retail portrait shops..???

It makes me wonder if I could actually start to use all of what I've learned (and bought) over the years to support my habit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about changing the life of the photographer? I remember reading about Eddie Adams and the famous shot of the Vietnamese guy being shot by the American. He said that his life was changed afterwards not because of what the guy did, but because he took the photo. He also said, that contrary to what it seems, it is actually the millisecond after the shot and not before the shot. Sorry to be graphic but the bullet was actually coming out of the guy's head and not the second before the shot.
    I saw him once at Lens and Repro and I remembered that people hate it when they come to him and ask for his autogrph so I left him alone.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    How about changing the life of the photographer? I remember reading about Eddie Adams and the famous shot of the Vietnamese guy being shot by the American.
    No! The South Vietnamese was being executed by the Viet Cong! NOT AN AMERICAN!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    No! The South Vietnamese was being executed by the Viet Cong! NOT AN AMERICAN!
    Whoops, was that it? I haven't seen it in a while. But an interesting story regarding the photo though.
    That changed the life of everyone involved.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography has changed my life considerably. If I had to pick out one thing that has had the most impact it would be the people that I have met through photography. In addition I shot some portraits recently that resonate very strongly with me personally. These are photographs that I have dreamed of making. No scans have been posted yet but will be soon.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Whoops, was that it?
    We both got it wrong: "Eddie Adams photographed 13 wars, including Vietnam. He won a Pulitzer Prize for his 1968 photograph of Gen. Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Viet Cong prisoner in Saigon. The prisoner had just murdered eight South Vietnamese. The photograph turned some Americans against the war and haunted Loan for the rest of his life. Eddie Adams died in September, 2004"

That photo, and the one of the young girl running down a road after a Napalm attack, will haunt me forever.

Photos do not "lie", but how they are interpreted and presented to the people can bring about false assumptions.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am absolutely positive it can and does. I have been involved for four years now in a project to photograph kids who are hard to adopt kids in the custody of DHS. My photography group has produced two exhibits of 50 black and white fiber based portraits of kids some by them selves and some sibling groups. They have been stunning, powerful exhibits that traveled our state for a year each. The last up date I had was that about 70 kids have been adopted. These are mostly adolescents that have been in the system for years. Now they have families, permanent homes. I am more proud of the work I did on these exhibits than anything else I have ever done.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

I agree, some of us probably became photographers because of someone's photograph.

Some photographers careers are made because of one photograph.

Some people in the entertainment industry have a career because of one photograph.

Some people have gone to jail because of one photograph.

Some people died because of one photograph. (spying for instance)

And as David so wisely pointed out some men gave up half their net worth because of one photograph.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gay Larson
    I am absolutely positive it can and does. I have been involved for four years now in a project to photograph kids who are hard to adopt kids in the custody of DHS. My photography group has produced two exhibits of 50 black and white fiber based portraits of kids some by them selves and some sibling groups. They have been stunning, powerful exhibits that traveled our state for a year each. The last up date I had was that about 70 kids have been adopted. These are mostly adolescents that have been in the system for years. Now they have families, permanent homes. I am more proud of the work I did on these exhibits than anything else I have ever done.

Wow, What a fantastic project to be involved with. I'd love to see the photographs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin