Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,106   Online: 930

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Images
    Okay I get it now.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    The point is, I suppose, that photography is all about getting something in front of your camera that means something to you, and making a picture that justifies the trouble. it has little to directly do with Art, Schools, Theories. It is democratic, uncivilized, and of necessity, unruly. It is common to all photographers, and has no need for theory, standards, and awards. And no distance is too great to either make, or see, a good photograph.
    THAT is an amazing story! I want to be able to re-tell it to my students in the future. Is there any attribution or documentation of your visit to this gallery and/or the stories of the underground photographers in Prague?

That is an amazing story, and it needs to be heard by more than us here.

Thank you for sharing it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    So, I'm kind of familiar with what you're sort of saying, but I'm not exactly sure where you're leading us to.
    Take pics of what you see and like around you. <--Coles Notes version

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The history of WW2 and Post War art tells this story over and over.

Prague is interesting because it was a center of photography before Hitler, and when the Nazis came it was simply too important to people to be supressed.

I regret I can't document my story beyond a wonderful anecdote. There are many Czech photographers who visit the US to teach, in particular Pavel Banka, who helped found the Prague House of Photography. Perhaps an inquiry to PHP regarding photography from 1938 to 1990 would be helpful.

A lot of time has passed since then. The art world long ago embraced 'Installation' as a vital concept, but never linked it emotionally or intellectually to the necessity of having an Installation in the first place.

In the US, we have the tendency, like all people, to view history through our own perspective. And we eagerly embraced the legend that somehow we fought and then brought down the Iron Curtain all by ourselves.

With that perspective, it is very difficult to appreciate the way people lived, and how they freed themselves, and what was their cost over the years. So, there was little interest after the Velvet Revolution to tell the small stories that were so important. Time has moved on, but there are still some who can tell their stories ... all over europe.

Bet you a nickel there are some folks living in SLC or Denver who have some first hand experience. The Rockies are a magnet, aren't they ?

Of course, a Prague photo trip would be cool.... usually, today, folks go for castles and stuff. But....

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anyway, my assumption was if anyone knew a photography school that admired the work of Adams (I know some professors educate students to dislike him and his work) then it might be a good place for me to look into. My feeling so far has been that I either have to just keep learning on my own, or go to a school that is largely an individualized program.[/QUOTE]

Since you mentioned Keith Carter in a previous post, and are looking for a school I thought I'd give my perspective. Keith teaches at Lamar Univ. in Beaumont Tx. KC encourages every manner of photography that the student produces. (Just make sure it's honest work!! He's been know to tear and/or burn photos during a critique!!) He doesnt encourage or steer them towards his own swampy, dark style. If you like Ansel Adams, he will encourage you to do landscapes, etc with AA in mind, but to make it your own vision. He is very good at opening the door to a student's mind to many photographers using many styles. All-in-all, he is a fantastic teacher and a few semesters with KC can be incredibly enriching.

Not nearly as eloquent as other members :-) but I hope this helps...
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Valerie! I'll look into Lamar and see if it might be a good fit for me. I'm not sure how I'd feel about my work getting torn up or burned though... LOL!
    In the name of God, stop a moment, close your work, look around you. ~LEO TOLSTOY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lamar is small local commuter school. (BTW--Janis Joplin was an art student there!)
    Degree is an MA, not MFA--or was several yrs ago. Even just a semester or 2 is great experience. The art history prof is really incredible as well! Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie
    Lamar is small local commuter school. (BTW--Janis Joplin was an art student there!)
    Robert Rauschenberg, Janis Joplin, and Johnny and Edgar Winter are all from the Beaumont / Port Arthur area. It's not very similar to San Fransisco proper. Rappers UGK are from Port Arthur as well.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The area just oozes creativity!! Perhaps its something in the bayou water?!

Shooter
    35mm

Stories

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    With that perspective, it is very difficult to appreciate the way people lived, and how they freed themselves, and what was their cost over the years. So, there was little interest after the Velvet Revolution to tell the small stories that were so important. Time has moved on, but there are still some who can tell their stories ... all over europe.
    Yes, that is a wonderful thing. I traveled through Europe by train a couple of years ago with my camera. Every opportunity I had to meet people at each stop I made, I was so pleased because they welcomed me with warmth and respect. In Prague, I didn't particularly have a chance to start any deep conversations with the locals compared to other places I did, like Ohrid, Macedonia, the former Yugo state. There I felt I was almost treated as a member of their community, which might (or might not) have had to do with my Japanese background regarding the stories about war.

As you know the war in the Balkans was all over the place. Macedonia has survived without being directly attacked or having to pay the cost that other states such as Bosnia and Herzegovina did. But still the tension on the border with the conflict with the Albanians has not been quite eased. And there's Kosovo, which is another neighbor. U.N troops were stomping their land. So, it was partially (not virtually) a war zone until shortly before I visited.

On the bus to Ohrid, A young man, a college student from Skopje, told me about the recent history of the region. Itís my first time learning from a Macedonian's point of view, of which information I don't think would circulate well outside the region. The E.U restrictions, U.S. interventions, and the U.N sanctions, were and still are very much the direct cause for this, leaving the Macedonians in very limited ways to travel. And problems with Greece is another thing.

So, he and I started to talk about what we had in common, the film, "Before the Rain" which came out in the early 90's. That just popped in my head because one of my friends in the U.S. knew the younger sister of the actress (played the "young girl") from the film shortly after the film was released. But at that time, for me, the distance was too great for me to have a clue or even to get familiar with the name of the place.

Itís been known that the story of the film was a fiction, but it ironically depicted the reality that was soon to come in the region. But Iíd never met anyone to convince me that until I got there and met this young man, who lived through this period as a young boy and grew up with it including the time when he served as a soldier. And because he was so modest and generous (and very fluent in English), for the next four hours on the bus ride, our conversation went on endlessly (mostly by my asking him a lot of questions, though).

When I got off the bus, an older man asked me if I needed a room to stay, so I took his offer. As we were walking to his house, he started to tell me about the city of Ohrid, which I would call more like a village though, and his stories. He said he was a soldier in Bosnia for a number of years before he retired. And now he would accommodate tourists and make little cash, so he and his wife could go out for a dinner once in a while. He gave me a nice room, but with not great plumbing and almost no heat. There was an electronic heater, but because it would eat up the electricity so much he said, I rolled myself in a few thick blankets and with my pea-coat on when I went to sleep. It was in January, and itís right by the lake.

I went out that night to get a little quick bite. The only place I found that was open was a cafť. I walked in and saw two young women working there, but no customers. I looked at the menu and saw all different kinds of crape, so I asked them to choose one for me since Iím not a big sweets fan. They pointed at hazelnut, and one of them went behind the counter. They were sisters, and itís their family-owned cafť.

The one who started making my crape, is the older one. Her name is Tanja. She was living in Belgrade in Serbia-Montenegro for school at the time, but she was on her winter break and came home to help the business. After she handed me the crape, she came to sit at my table, and we started to talk for a few hours. She said sheís in the program to be a gymnast in college, and one of the things she had in her mind was to go to see the Olympics in Athens in 2004. She had no luck to go there because of the visa, which is extremely hard to get, etc...

My story goes on like this, and Iíll save the rest of the story for some other occasion. Meanwhile I should polish up my writing skill (and English, which is my second language forever). But thanks for your inspirations.

Anyway what I was trying to say is that, yes I travel with my cameras, and more or less, I get into the communities of the people Iíve never met before. And in there, I sort of see them opening their drawers to show me what (antique) pieces of stories they have kept for a long time. Or sometimes the stuff is right on the table. Either way, thatís the wonderful thing I know of, and Iíve been trying to, if not successfully capturing, have the moments of that on film to print.

In a short while (maybe in the next six months?), Iíll be starting to post these images somewhere so people will be able see them. But right now, Iím just still organizing them. So, stay tuned.

Firecracker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin