Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,283   Online: 853

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images

Schools of photography-Not RIT

I am wondering about the schools different photographers get lumped into.I read stuff like: POST MODERIST, MODERNIST, PICTORIALIST, CLASSIC. Can someone desribe how a photo gets lumped into these categories and what they mean. Maybe point me to a reference I can read.

Question #2
    Has photography been around long enough to have gone through so many schools or are folks just throwing meaningless art speak around to sound intelligent?

Question #3
    What school would you say you subscribe to and why?

I can't answer any of these so I'll wait to see what the more knowledgable have to say.

PS can you put it into simple terms please.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I am wondering about the schools different photographers get lumped into.I read stuff like: POST MODERIST, MODERNIST, PICTORIALIST, CLASSIC. Can someone desribe how a photo gets lumped into these categories and what they mean. Maybe point me to a reference I can read.

Question #2
    Has photography been around long enough to have gone through so many schools or are folks just throwing meaningless art speak around to sound intelligent?

Question #3
    What school would you say you subscribe to and why?
    1. You should add Straight Photography as a category. Essentially the viewer categorizes the photos significantly more often than the photographer. A photographer may be post-modern or modern or pictorialist or straight. I actually think that the modern and post-modern categories are less descriptive for a non-art audience.

2. Both

3. Straight Photography. Examples of the straight photographers would include the Weston's (after 1919), A. Adams, Cunningham, Eugene Smith, Friedlander, Arbus, R. Adams, Maplethorpe (mostly), Sally Mann (up until the large wet plate prints), Tom Daniel, Stieglitz (not all but some or most of his work), Bullock, Modotti, Michael Smith, Paula Chamlee, Nick Nixon, Tice, Avedon etc, etc.

Mike Davis

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would argue that those names Mike Davis listed above are actually in the Moderest camp as I see it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I would argue that those names Mike Davis listed above are actually in the Moderest camp as I see it.

lee\c
    Lee, could be. I don't like the modernist and post-modernist labels. I think that the straight photography and pictorialist labels are more descriptive to a non art critic audience.

That said, Ed Weston was big in the pictorialist movement almost until his trip to Mexico. The Armaco shots would seem to represent a change of view for him.

Having done the film school thing in both the mid 80's and early 2000's, I have an almost viceral aversion to "art talk." But I can see your point.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At over 150 years old and often emulating painting styles; I'd say that photography can have a number of style camps. Those blasted soft-focus filters are a holdover from the impressionist movement

I have no style or class, just ask anyone who knows me!

Images
    But what do they mean?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    But what do they mean?
    They perhaps mean nothing other than the fact that you lived in a particular period in history and did what you did in accordance.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Then in this time where the old methods are being resurrected, what is that considered to be?
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm curious; what photography schools (offering MFA's) out there would be considered to be leaning towards straight or pictorial photography? Basically, what schools are more grounded in the styles similar to Adams, Eliot Porter or Keith Carter? Every school I seem to find is into the really funky "modern stuff" (not that it's necessarily bad, just not what I prefer); I'm interested in doing more "conservative" photography...

I keep thinking I should start a club called "Republican Photographers." Wouldn't have anything to do with politics (I'm a moderate liberal) but I still think the title's a hoot.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What's New Mexico like these days? Usually the MFA programs that are straight photography can have a strong documentary focus. For some people straight photography is documentary photography. It's a tough question.

I know that as of last year VCU was accepting no more documentary MFA candidates. That may have changed.

Mike Davis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin