Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,406   Online: 715

View Poll Results: Which would rather have for Halloween?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trick

10 31.25%
  • Treat

22 68.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    All that makes the custom of children going from door to door and asking for just that a bit suspect...
    These kids now-a-days.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'll take the snickers bite sized. For some strange reason, I always associate the "trick" in Halloween with seeing Detroit on fire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    I just asked the wife if I dressed up in a costume and had a goody bag would she drop a handful of LF brassies in. She said all she could promise was some stale candy corn and maybe a Mounds bar. <sigh>
    -Bob
    This is what I tell my kids about life in general...it might apply to you and your brassies.

"You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."

Now, if you had asked for a different *KIND* of treat, she might have been more receptive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see we prefer treats over tricks. Does this mean we are acually materialistic? Philosophical debate - begin...

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Trick....I tend to be a prankster with my inner circle of friends and relatives. So, I guess I'm living by "Do unto others..."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The truth is I never understood it:
    When kids go to a door dressed in costumes and they ask for a "trick or treat" what
    is the "trick" supposed to mean? After all, they collect the candy, don't they?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd rather have neither, I don't want other people's brats begging at my door.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    The truth is I never understood it:
    When kids go to a door dressed in costumes and they ask for a "trick or treat" what
    is the "trick" supposed to mean? After all, they collect the candy, don't they?
    It's more of a demand, couched as a request. In all fun the kids are visiting you and giving you the choice...provide a treat or you recieve a trick...

I'm not sure on the exact origins of the custom, but I think that the kids, dress up and good naturedly represent spirits that the occupants of the home buy off with a treat (or tith or bribe or sacrifice, depending on how you wan toto view it). If no treat is forthcomming, the spirits stay to haunt the home...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hallowe'en has it's origins in the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain.
    The Jack o lantern was originally used in the British Isles and was a hollowed out turnip with a face carved into it to frighten away evil spirits. When people arrived in the New World they found pumpkins easier to hollow out and so used those.
    Trick or Treat originated in Ireland. Hallowe'en came close to the feast of St Columba when people would go from door-to-door collecting bread, money, eggs, nuts and apples. It was felt that these offerings gave protection against bad luck. [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]Nowadays, this practice is known as "Trick or Treat", with the household which gives the least offering liable to have a "trick" carried out against it.

Of course, all of this is now lost in the crass commercial claptrap that All Hallows Eve, or Hallowe'en, has become.
    [/size][/font]

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When my children were young I would joking refer to the ritual as "teaching my children about extortion". Then I would go with them as they practiced. Of course I would go along and do my "trick or beer" routine. I could usually keep a cold one in my hand for the duration of the outing. (I live in a VERY friendly area.)
    Howard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin