Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,411   Online: 1058

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=blansky]Oppositely, what one puts forth as his style, should not be confused with something that is really just a lack of expertise.

Meaning, I don't know how to deal with fat thighs so I'll just say that fat thighs are my "artistic vision".

Michael

Perhaps you missed the bit about 'if well seen and executed'. This could hardly be passed off as lack of expertise or a desperate, hopeful appeal to "artistic vision". Rather than denigrating the thought by an ad absurdum type point I was suggesting that if the photographer were to take a pro-active stance toward the work the balance would shift to somewhere between the whims of the person sitting and the (hopefully) purposeful photograph(er). I was actually implying or assuming a high level (not pretentious or precious) of portrait skill. A hack snapshot doesn't qualify unless brilliantly lucky. A good photographer isn't a charlatan and doesn't hide under the umbrella of pure 'artistic vision'. I was rather suggesting responsibility and acknowledgment of the reasons why a particular portrait was taken in a certain way and presuming that this was intentional and justifiable.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tell her to skip a few meals and come back later

Just joking, I have to agree with the comments regarding conversation and establishing a connection with the person. If you are able to take their mind away from being photographed I believe that the chances of a good picture go way up. It is really about the person not the thighs or hips.
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, just two days ago my model said she would like to move session some time later because she would like to get 2 or 3 kilograms... Mind of woman moves in misterious ways

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe
    Tell her to skip a few meals and come back later

Just joking, I have to agree with the comments regarding conversation and establishing a connection with the person. If you are able to take their mind away from being photographed I believe that the chances of a good picture go way up. It is really about the person not the thighs or hips.
    First off I know you are just joking. But this is just exactly why women over time have gotten so darn self concious. In our world, not so much is thought about how a man looks. Granted the hair thing will get in the way, but how many times has a man been thought of as overweight until he really is exceedingly overweight? Who cares if he is not the proper proportions? Does he lose out on job interviews because of his looks? There are a myriad of things that society as a whole expects of women in the looks department. These sterotypes of perfection are laughed about and a constant undercurrent for woemn to try and attain. wfe, I am not berrating you, just siting that this thing happens. I recently lost a whole lot of weight. Well over 100 pounds. You should have seen the reactions of some people who had not seen me during that time. Some I wanted to hug, and others I had to restrain myself from smacking. Granted I (this is my opinion) think women are more emotional. We take the whole load of crap that is fed to us about being perfect. I lost the weight for health reasons. Ya know what I've gained? I have a butt that hangs my legs look like a sharpei puppy, Perky is not a word I associate with my now 38 long breast size. I could fly with the extra skin that is under my arms if I could find a nice mountain to jump off of. Being Thanksgiving my neck looks like a Tom Turkey. AND I STILL WILL NOT GET IN FRONT OF A CAMERA!

Any of you guys shooting nudes ever consider shooting one of a fat lady? Ask yourselves why? Then back track and think a bit. What would happen if you did ask a fat lady to pose nude for you? Use those same platitudes you are using on women you do shoot nudes of. Yeah we are insecure, we have been trained to be insecure and to strive for perfection. What a crock.

Brad I am not degrading you or any of the men who have responded. Just voicing the emotion of one who has been on the otherside of this. You all mean well. It is a tough thing and there are not just individual reasons, it is drummed into us and society at large has trained us to be fearful of our lack of perfection.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well Aggie, Ya know we all love ya! Thanks for sharing your heartfelt perspective on this issue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The word is "rapport". That is dependent on the "being" of the one to be photographed, and I have *NO* formula for obtaining it. None. All I can suggest is to try to "read" the model's reactions - look for what is positive, and what is negative - to HER/ him. Do the positive.

Some will like light talk and joking - to others this will be a maximum turn-off... they will expect deadly seriousness.

A couple of things *I* do, working with figure studies: I ALWAYS pay my models. I find it necessary in establishing a serious, "professional" (in the best sense of the word) relationship, and I will direct my attention rather narrowly toward the task at hand -- obtaining the best image possible. The model/ subject will usually sense this, and be drawn to do to same, refocusing her attention.

No, it doesn't always work. One must keep one's sense of humor in those cases. Stay "light", roll with the punches -- and move on.

BTW - The "classic" solution for "short legs" is a low camera angle. Unfortunately, this also tends to emphasize thigh girth... but it is usually worth a try.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Aggie

There is a book with nudes from big strong womans from Herlinde Koelbl and I had the same idea but she was faster then I, so I tropped the idea!
    And she was faster because she is a woman and for me it was unpossible to find XXXlarge ladys for posing nude in front of my camera!
    I did not want to pay prostitutes for it I was looking for just normal bussiness woman or housewifes!
    But for a portraitist it should be known how to light a person to look better and how to put the camera in the right place.
    There are many books about it, especially in german are the older ones the best in thad kind of subject!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I ask a woman to lend her beauty for photographs and she objects because of doubts about her photogenic appearance I just explain her that a good photographer takes good photos so there is no way that she would appear other than beautiful and "perfect" in my photographs.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    When I ask a woman to lend her beauty for photographs and she objects because of doubts about her photogenic appearance I just explain her that a good photographer takes good photos so there is no way that she would appear other than beautiful and "perfect" in my photographs.

You smooth talking devil.

And to think that you have tried to pass yourself off on this site as shy and reserved.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Yes, and quite well too Robert. Your work is amazing.
    Brad, thanks for the vote of confidence. It is much appreciated.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin