Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,271   Online: 954

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cutting Edge

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    When I shoot for myself (art?) I shoot for myself and wonder if others will see it similarly. I never shoot thinking "I'll bet people will think this is..." I do shoot with who 'we' are or what 'we' think we are in mind. I also use the viewership as a measure of how my message comes across, and at times a validation of success and or failure.

I would like to think that the people Dave, Don, Firecracker and the 1% Jorge are refereing to are people who have a similar perception or approach.
    I'm kind of a theory head, but lately I've stopped reading the books I was reading in the last several years for some reason. Instead, when I hold my camera before taking pictures, I do some thinking: I want to take a good and/or great picture because (most of the time) I know there's no second chance. And it's true there are so many moments, beautiful moments with stunning experiences in the past that I didn't capture on film. I can recall those moments very vividly and talk about them as much as I want to, but I don't have any pictures from those cherished stories! Since I don't want to regret about this any more, I think ahead of what I have to do and will be doing with it everytime I go out and take pictures.

Sorry this hardly has anything to do with the original topic here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Cutting edge" is not equivalent to good, although "cutting edge" work can be good.

An edge "cuts" when it separates one part from another. Something is only "cutting edge", when it marks a distinction between what follows, and what has gone before. If, someday, many people say something like "the photography Matt King did in 2005 changed the photographic landscape" then I guess I will have been working at the "cutting edge" during this year (there is absolutely no :o chance of this occuring).

You can only truly tell if something is cutting edge, if you have some perspective on it.

If you are in the midst of doing "cutting edge" work, you are probably too close to it to be able to tell.

My suggestion to anyone seeking to do "cutting edge" work - use your own impression of discovery and inspiration and wonder to measure whether your work is successful. If there are others whose judgment and perception and knowledge is respected by you, ask them as well. Leave it to strangers with perspectives different from yours to worry about whether your work is "cutting edge".

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For a description of how art concepts are created and turned into schools and isms and then turned into commerce read The Painted Word by Tom Wolfe
    JackB

Shooter
    35mm
    For me the best in cutting edge photography is being done by film editors in Hollywood.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin