Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,254   Online: 841

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Edge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cutting Edge

I don't know if this should go here or in the lounge. It is more about the artistic merts so I put it here.

I have wondered now for a few days what is really meant by cutting edge photography? Is it a style? Is it a new way of photographing? Is it finding something new and taking a picture of it that one one else has? Is it the way you treat your negatives? Is it designing your shot and taking it, as if you were a painter composing a scene? I want to know what seperates it from the rest of photographic endeavors.

I also want to know who are the current cutting edge photographers. It has bee mentioned to me that the only ones who are cutting edge are the YOUNG who live in Central America or Eastern Europe. I didn't know there was an age limit or a geographic restriction to it. I also didn't know it had to be akin to the artist Cezzane.

What are your thoughts, and if you have examples please post them as well. I think this might be a fun thread.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    cutting edge = Different, and somehow hip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First there was leading edge, but that wasn't enough so it became cutting edge. Sometime whilst you were sleeping it was decided that bleeding edge was required.

All simply identify 'the new' and we all know new is inherently better.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    now for a few days what is really meant by cutting edge photography? Is it a style? Is it a new way of photographing?....What are your thoughts, and if you have examples please post them as well. I think this might be a fun thread.
    ha ha fun Aggie? Have you been drinking!

Anyways, I view cutting edge as anything that is trying to stretch an art form into new areas. It's kinda hard to name the cutting edge without narrowing down the subject. There is a cutting edge of Alt processes I'm sure as well as one for B/W and one for color, and one for every facet of the art.

Too many people associate the cutting edge only with the latest technology or fad, not true. If someone is changing their art, pushing past the conventional limits they're on the cutting edge.

Gotta work on comming up with some names.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    back to add that the cutting edge in art is also known as the avant-garde I think cutting edge is a modern techno variation.
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A cutting edge, having seen them in action, is a very uncomfortable place to be.

But the OTHER problem with the concept of 'cutting edge' is as Heisenberg put it:
    "The more precisely the position is determined, the less precisely the momentum is known in this instant, and vice versa."
    More or less, you can't plot the path and the velocity of a particle, or art form, at the same moment. You can't see where art is going, and where it is, at the same time. Observation becomes critical, for "The "path" comes into existence only when we observe it".

It is, therefore, the observation that determines the 'cutting edge', not the artists. And observation of 'art' is seldom pure, rather observers look to satisfy their own taste, theories, and need. Trend spotters usually need to find the 'next big thing' to bring it first to market.

So the 'cutting edge' can't exist beyond marketing hyperbole.

We can only track a trend by looking backward. Picking up on trends, like wearing black and having 2 day stubble, is simply recognizing a budding conventionality.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    guess I better shave I dont look good in Black either

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    First there was leading edge, but that wasn't enough so it became cutting edge. Sometime whilst you were sleeping it was decided that bleeding edge was required.

All simply identify 'the new' and we all know new is inherently better.

John,

Did you know Lorena too?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I wouldn't have a clue Aggie. I'm ususually on the trailing edge of most things. I guess if its confined to Central America or Eastern Europe, we will never see it in Eastern Kansas.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Basho said, "He treads the sharp edge of the sword."

Now the haiku of someone dead several hundred years may be out of fashion with the literary glitterati, but it's good enough for me.

I'm not looking for the cutting edge. I'm looking for quality work and art. It's out there and it isn't all post-modernist mordencage or digital manipulation.

Mike Davis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin