Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,930   Posts: 1,522,187   Online: 1117

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

All art

Quote Originally Posted by laz
    So are you saying that you envision your institution's BFA be totally devoted to "art" not commerce?

The only difference then would be that a "good" photo is only good if the professor says so.

Still dying to know where you teach.

-Bob
    Bob,
    Yep. ALL art. NO commerce. Commerce belongs in the business school. Students must learn that they can make photographs for no other purpose than the making of the photograph. That is good enough. There does not have to be any ulterior motive. They are doing it because they must do it.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Art, schmart! Photography has a strong craft component. Who wants to make art by photographic means is going to have a hard time realizing his/her/its vision without being able to control the process. So I think you're wrong and the people you're contending with are right. I also think they're mistaken if they think that mastery of whatever today's process is will be enough. The students have to learn how to learn processes as well.
    Absolutly Dan.

We now pause for a brief plug for my son's school:

The Drexel University Photography Program supports students in the discovery of their own photographic vision and style, leveraging a mix of aesthetics and technology, of creativity and technique to convey their unique artistic communication. Through a hands-on program blending traditional processes with the latest digital technologies, the photography curriculum provides all the tools necessary for aspiring artists/photographers to achieve a breadth of experience not generally developed in traditional fine art or commercial photography programs. Photography students receive the same photography foundation courses for all majors until the third year of study, at which point they design a more individualized path of study for their senior thesis process.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Bob,
    Yep. ALL art. NO commerce. Commerce belongs in the business school. Students must learn that they can make photographs for no other purpose than the making of the photograph. That is good enough. There does not have to be any ulterior motive. They are doing it because they must do it.
    And what exactly do your students eat after graduation?

Okay, just kidding. I think such programs are as necessary as any form of education. And while I did say FA degrees are useless, that's hyperbole to say the least and I confess was aiming to be pithy and amusing.

I believe we must have programs devoted to pure art, once it all becomes commerce we lose the higher purposes that all our work should at least make a nod to. Commerce to feed our bodies, art to feed our souls!

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    severian
    David'
    I'm in the great city of Houston

09-16-2005, 08:40 PM

Clay,I'm in Shady Acres thats the lower end of the Heights. Good luck with that traffic
    Severian aka Jack

The first thing I took out was 1000 8x10 and 4x5 negatives . They are in my office in Huntsville.

Sam Houston State University Huntsville, TX
    www.shsu.edu

Arts and Sciences

Photography

Michael I am a Brooks grad and you are right....

Jack Barnosky was born in Philadelphia and earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the Brooks Institute of Photography in 1974. He also earned a Master of Fine Arts degree from Indiana University. Mr. Barnosky has had 21 one-person and 20 group shows of his work in various places throughout the world. Jack teaches in both the commercial and fine arts areas, and includes a course in alternative processes that is very popular amongst our students.

Welcome Jack. Most of us leave a trail.
    I hope our thoughts have helped, but it feels more comfortable to me when we are all up front with who we are.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Well huh, First off I know we are talking about BFA but Why would a commercial photographer receive a MFA in photography if it weren't for his/her soul? Secondly this is a thread I am particularly interested in because I don't have a BFA. I have a BROAD Liberal Arts degree for undergrad, minor in photography, in the south, well Louisiana and an MFA photography and related medias from Parsons in NYC. All the history and theory I knew before going to NYC was self taught, well I quess everything short of 35mm B/W, and very basic digi taught in Graphic design. I knew there was more out there I just was not being taught any of it. I decided to get an MFA from Parsons because of it's diversity. Having now graduated I am back in Louisiana although not teaching yet, I am busting at the seems with all the information of theory, history, processes from antiquarian avant garde, oh sorry alternative process to digi. I think you have to know all the colors in the palette. Although the way I work is more suited toward large format and now ultra large format. I beleive that the conceptual idea and process or materality of the work should not be seperated, for FA that is.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I got a BAFA(bachelor of arts in fine arts, because I took alot of Spanish and Literature) from a large university here in New Mexico(UNM). I learned a lot of photo theory and history there. I learned how to explain why I shot what I shot, but I came out of school with not a lot of practical life skills. I feel that a course or two on how to exist in this world with photography skills would of done wonders for me. I think that grant writing, some sort of business knowledge, and professional presentation are vital skills for an artist to have. I said grant writing because someday I would love to live the Guggenheim life. Just my thoughts. Good luck with the battle!

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874
    Welcome Jack. Most of us leave a trail.
    I hope our thoughts have helped, but it feels more comfortable to me when we are all up front with who we are.
    John
    I always find it a bit weird when someone doesn't want to say who they are when discussing something like this. But I dunno John, if I'm all that comfortable with outing the person like this. Jack had his reasons for not revealing much more than he did and other then the aforementioned feeling that it's a bit weird, it doesn't seem all that important to the discussion.

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You cannot possibly offer a photography degree without including Photoshop and other image manipulation techniques.
    I agree. Just because many of us here don't like Photoshop or digital, doesn't mean that everyone sees photography in the same light. FWIW, I know how to use Photoshop, but I would prefer not to have to use it - using it makes photography seem like work to me, not art.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always find it a bit weird when someone doesn't want to say who they are when discussing something like this. But I dunno John, if I'm all that comfortable with outing the person like this. Jack had his reasons for not revealing much more than he did and other then the aforementioned feeling that it's a bit weird, it doesn't seem all that important to the discussion.

-Bob
    Agreed, this seems more like an attack than the provision of information germane to the discussion.
    Celac.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OK,

I admit that I'm weird. I have a BFA in film. I have taken a variety of film journalism, writing, literature, and photography classes. The latest of these classes have been in the past couple of years.

A pet peeve that I have is students showing up for critique with:

A. Nothing. They were too busy. The work was too hard. The camera didn't work. They didn't have time to print. Etc, etc.

B. unretouched, unflattened, crappy prints. Please see the excuses above.

Photography, hopefully, is both craft and art. You have to understand the light meters, strobes, and lenses. You have to be able to load and unload film. You have to understand how to mix chemicals, use an enlarger, and produce a print. You need to know how to retouch and flatten. You need to be able to matte and mount.

You also need to understand the history of photography and art in general.

I recently took and LF class for fun (I work at the University and can take a couple of free classes per semester). In a class of 15 students (mostly juniors and seniors), maybe 4 took it seriously. For most of them LF was the course they didn't worry about. But, they quickly discovered how technically demanding LF actually is.

Anyway, the photoshop classes aren't necessarily bad, but learning PS as a tool can be taught in the same way that one learns about strobes in a Studio Photo class. You learn the technical in class and produce the art on your own.

Mike Davis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin