Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,533   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Chinn
    One thing to keep in mind when persuing an MFA and PHD is that you basically have to tow the party line and kiss a lot of ass to get through the process easily. Most professors have their own ideas and theories about your chossen profession and they are going to try to get you to adapt their views. You will have to play along to achieve your goals, especially when dealing with thesis advisors or committees.
    See the movie "Getting Straight" with Eliot Gould, 1970. The thesis defense scene is priceless, and Gould's "chalice" line was oft repeated by a friend of mine in grad school.

Lee

Shooter
    8x10 Format

MFA

Soot,
    How many schools did you apply to? I get the impression it was one. UT?
    My advice to undergrads is to apply to many schools. 20-30 is not too many. I know it can get pricey but it could be well worth the expense. You WILL go to the school that accepts you, regardless of all other considerations, So you have to live in Bugknee USA for a couple of years. Will your work become diluted? Thats one way of looking at it but another way is to consider your work enhanced. If you spend three years in an MFA program and your work does not change then you haven't been paying attention. In grad school you will be subjected to all art disciplines and points of view. They are all valid and are there for your use. Along with the photography study history,criticism, sculpture , painting etc. it can be fun. Througout your life your work will change. Photography seems to be a subtractive process. Try something, reject it if it doesn't fit your visual vocabulary. Move on and try something else. Eventually you will come to a point where the choices will be very few. The more you do the fewer choices you have. When you arrive at this point you will really have defined Scootermans photography. Allow your work to evolve.
    I think you should search out a program with profs and students producing work that is the absolute antithesis of the typr of work that you are doing. Appear at the office of the faculty one day, preferably unannounced, and explain that you would like to enter their program because exposure to this anti Scooter work will help develop you as an artist. When they talk to you personally and look you in the eye you become a person and not just an application form or portfolio. I was rejected by a University and became somewhat depressed. Took my work to another University and almost barged into their offices and began to plead my case. They accepted me. I found out that the university that I went to was rated #5 in fine arts in the country. The one that rejected me was unranked. Good luck
    Jack B

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Architecture school huh..

I spent 4 years at one of those before dropping out and doing a couple of semesters in engineering (mechanical and electrical) - I wanted to be the art-wank engineer about town making robotic painting machines and art-code computer programs that did nothing tangible but make your CPU heat up, anyways, all good fun until I ended up in hospital for 12 weeks (my head was on backwards one day and my gall-bladder had something to say about it, oh yeh then i got a mystery illness 'not unlike malaria') ...

It was a bit of a wake up call - I thought I'm not learning anything here that I couldn't learn from the internet and a good amount of text books and possibly sneaking into the very large undergrad lectures only every now and again (i studied in bed) - so i dropped out...

there is still some part of me that wants to complete a tertiary level qualification tho - here in NZ we are very low on science and technology secondary teachers so the government is giving full study grants and subsequent payments (over and above the fee's) for anyone doing a post grad dip in teaching... Not that I'm in it just for the money, as I love the passing on and sharing of information and ideas to whomever (very APUG) it just that I didn't want to teach science or computers

I recently found out that included in 'technology' umbrella is photography -

damn

I thought I had my next few years sorted out (start working in the motion picture industry art dept with a final goal to be a production designer)

Life seems to never let up on the decisions

have you thought about high-school level teaching ? do you need a Masters to do that in the states ?

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You do not need a masters degree in the states to teach in public school....you do need a B degree in the major area you wish to teach and enough education courses to qualify you to teach in the state you wish to work in....Each state sets the requirements for licensure..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Do It Matt!! If you want to meet and discuss over a beer we can do that, but my answer is still the same - Do It!! Now the next question is a bit harder, what do you want to teach? Art/Photography/etc? and at what level...reason for asking, is the art programs at many public secondary schools have been cut back or are gone. At the college level it is a different thing all together, and I can really see you teaching at that level.
    This is an interesting point... I don't know what age level you are most likely to jive with but if you want to teach, may I offer some really 'out-there', unsolicited thoughts?

With the art programs being cut from our public schools, many parents (including myself) would be thrilled to include our children in some sort of paid program (kind of like music lessons, karate or gymnastics but for art). If you jive with school age children, pre-teens, and/or adolescents you might be able to achieve your goal of teaching via your own business platform.

Again, I realize my thoughts were unsolicited but PhotoMC made me think of it so I thought I'd take a chance and share. Regardless of what path you follow, I wish you nothing but success!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    all thoughts are solicited.
    its the reason I posted/started the thread.

I actually, since posing this thread, have visited a couple schools and had some good and bad experiences. Visited Univ of Tx at San Antonio yesterday morning and enjoyed talking with the prof there.
    Planning on applying to 6 schools, can not in any form or fashion apply to 20-30 schools thats just COMPLETELY financially straining thought. 6 is manageable though. so Ill see in the next few months how that all turns out.

in regards to teaching and age groups... Im much more interested in the upper level age groups (college, higher education, continuing education) as opposed to younger kids.

again thanks everyone for the input/thoughts.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    all thoughts are solicited.
    its the reason I posted/started the thread.

I actually, since posing this thread, have visited a couple schools and had some good and bad experiences. Visited Univ of Tx at San Antonio yesterday morning and enjoyed talking with the prof there.
    Planning on applying to 6 schools, can not in any form or fashion apply to 20-30 schools thats just COMPLETELY financially straining thought. 6 is manageable though. so Ill see in the next few months how that all turns out.

in regards to teaching and age groups... Im much more interested in the upper level age groups (college, higher education, continuing education) as opposed to younger kids.

again thanks everyone for the input/thoughts.
    Scooter
    Six apps is six times more than one. You'll get there. Be patient
    Jack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin