Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,711   Online: 775

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Mine likely reveal that I am antisocial - I take a looooong time to really get comfortable with people. That's probably why I never take pictures of people. I can talk to the buildings and landscapes that I take pictures of without feeling self concious.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've asked them this question repeatedly, but they refuse to answer...

I think it might be entertaining to have different people look at a portfolio and see what inferences they make about the photographer, so long as the photographer is not known to them. I find it very difficult when looking at my work to see a message about me. The reason I took the photographs was to try to examine in a real fashion something other than myself.

Last year I took my last set of photos of my parents farm, the place I grew up. My parents were selling it, and moving to Phoenix (I'm sure it's a fine place, but really, Phoenix? 100F in the shade all summer Phoenix? Ugh!). I love those images, but what do they say about me? Probably nothing really, except that I was familiar with it. But they say a lot TO me, about the place I lived as a child and have visited periodically since.

Now that I've argued with the premise for the thread...I'll argue with myself. I pretty much exclusively make photographs that I'm interested in. These involve everything from portraits of dogs and people to landscape and abstract work. But sometimes, it is something merely peripheral to my topic of interest, something that catches my eye because I'm thinking of something else that is related. So maybe in addition to some of my interests, it tells about how I make connections. Perhaps even how my neurons make the vital next connection in my cerebrum that will allow me to become smarter (which would be a welcome improvement, any way you look at it...).

Woohoo! Post 55!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess if I could try to define overiding themes in my photos they would be:

1) a love of and fascination and awe with the world around me
    2) a love of the play of light and shadow, and
    3) a fascination with textures

I think it's probably not enough to say "well, nature...I take pics of nature" or "people". I think the real answer lies in looking at not just the general areas/topics/subjects we each like to shoot, but in what they have in common with each other.

What is it that draws us to see, commit, focus and 'click'?
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much the same as my school teachers said all those years ago: "Should try harder"....

Cheers, Bob.

I agree, mine said, Michael is a good student but he needs to apply himself and quite pissing around so much.....

Seriously, I let other people define me, I don't feel like spending the time to analyse what other people think about me or my work.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

self worth

Just print Blansky's answer to your question and carry it with you at all times.
    Blansky is the man on this one
    Jack

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    That I have way to much time on my hands! And that I need to get a real job.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

personal insight

Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I take photographs of people because I have a love/hate relationship with them and I am trying to overcome any psychological blockages I have with being with other humans. Plus I am extremely excited and enthusiastic about meeting people and discovering their lives and secrets. I am fascinated by faces and often feel like a safari hunter that hunts trophies. Especially with women I find it is a good excuse for them to pay attention to me!
    Ari, a very astute self-reflection. l am also fascinate with people. i work with them in such a different context that I seldom see the person hiding in the multiple layers. so that makes abstracts more natural and easy for me. Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    MARTIE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Join date Oct. 2004 and 2 posts to your credit...was your other post this thought provoking?

Without having read anybody elses responses yet, I tried to answer your question from about 15 different angles and always ended up feeling like I do when I try to comprehend just how freaking big the Universe really is.

Forget the viewer. Your vision-photography-statement is all that matters. If you begin second guessing what people think of your work, you're draining energy away from forward artistic momentum and development. An artistic quicksand catch-22.

My brain hurts...yet tingles...

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 11-16-2005 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was going to say... but I thought about it and decided not to share that part of my life. You see I worked as an X-Ray tech for 25 years and I hope my photographs don't show it.
    When I was in photo school I was told the best preparation was to get "real Life experience". I guess I took it to heart and spent a career in Radiation Therapy and Radiology. Had to get all kind of degrees and registries and went to a medical school. This is after three degrees in Photography at the nice expensive schools. I guess being a combat veteran wasn't enough.
    Best advice is follow your dream and don't take everything you are told as the absolute truth. ...Last line deleted, I'm too old and too tired to relive it all.

I could stay up all night if I had a "Photo Channel" on TV.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin