Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,646   Online: 852

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

What do your photographs say about you as a person?

This is a question that I very often ask myself, usually without getting a adequate answer and ending up with the feeling that I'm in a cycle regarding the messages and themes that my work embodies and conveys.

Here are some of the more recurring conclusions: traditional, idealistic, a nature lover and of all things natural, a beautifier etc...

So, I'm very keen to know, how others would answer this about themselves and whether this insight has helped thier photography or photographic vision/style to evolve?

Thanks in advance,

Martie Howie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    complex. I tend to make my world harder than it needs to be. but that is how I like it.

Has it helped me? yes, it has helped me say NO to alot of things in photography. About the same time as I started to make images I SAW that I would not be someone who would use the medium traditionaly.. it's not by choice.. it's a default aproach to things. Every image that I make that I like reverberates with this, and helps remind me of where I am comming from, and where I am going. It's almost like a map in code.. it says things about where I am, and where I am going, often times things that I don't, or dare not, think to myself. Yet, there it is, staring back at me as a picture.

I think it's impossible to take an image that is not in some way a self portraight. You are there operating the camera aren't you? That alone says something about who you are, where you've been, and where you might go. The greatest difficulty is probably in allowing the acceptance of those things to sink in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Cold fish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...that at various times I'm lazy, unimaginative and have difficulty thinking laterally.

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I'm usually the first to give a flip answer to such questions, I do think that sometimes a little bit can be understood about the shooter from his or her photographs. I think that those who shoot nature and landscape and try to capture what they see in it are lovers of it (and we probably could find a save the planet sticker on their fuel efficient car) From there it's harder to say, esthetics often have nothing to do with the persons self. Maybe a few things could be said of their personality Some of us shoot a certain subject because we're the opposite, I'm thinking of the several people who have said they are shy who like portraits because it's a way to overcome it.

The more I think of this question the more I think that little can be truly known other than the fact that photographers are clearly visual people who strive to capture what others don't necesssarily see.

-Bob
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have no idea.

But I have been told there's a similarity in style whatever I shoot - landscapes, portraits or whatever.

But then again that could just be my printing style - so maybe that's what says something about me as a person?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps that I'm an inadvertant contrarian? I'd rather photograph the near at hand than the icons, like dunes, mountains, or slot canyons, with a cumbersome view camera rather than a high tech slr or digicam in the north and south east rather than the west. I like sail rather than power, classical rather than popular, black and white rather than color, acoustic rather than electric, sedan (or station wagon actually) rather than an SUV and Pepsi rather than Coke etc. Maybe I just missed my century or decade or something.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean other than, "Bad Photographer Here" ?
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Many have told me my work seems lonely. I can see where they get that idea, but to me it's more representative of the vastness of the space I live in. (The west)

But I do also like to have a certain solitude in my work as well.

Check out my personal gallery, I think I have some good examples of that. You can tell me if what you feel about the images.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I take photographs of people because I have a love/hate relationship with them and I am trying to overcome any psychological blockages I have with being with other humans. Plus I am extremely excited and enthusiastic about meeting people and discovering their lives and secrets. I am fascinated by faces and often feel like a safari hunter that hunts trophies. Especially with women I find it is a good excuse for them to pay attention to me!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin