Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,251   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format

The APUG gallery has changed my photography; you?

Visiting the APUG gallery has pretty dramatically changed my photography. I find it such a different experience from looking at the work of acknowledged masters.

In the APUG gallery I see what others are doing that is both very much the same as me and completely different.

I think it's fairly common that when we see something different that we like we might decide to explore it ourselves. But I have found that it is what I've seen that is most like what I try to do that has influenced me to go in another direction.

Maybe it's just my personality, which is a tad bit contrarian , but there is an element of looking at so much work like my own and not seeing the uniqueness I thought it had?

What has the APUG galley done to your work, if anything?
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    Visiting the APUG gallery has pretty dramatically changed my photography. ...

Maybe it's just my personality, ... but there is an element of looking at so much work like my own and not seeing the uniqueness I thought it had?
    I wouldn't say that the gallery has dramatically changed my photography, but it has made me want to do more!

I have a similar experience as you to seeing work like mine (or like what I want to be able to do ). I'll think of an idea for a picture, and before I get around to doing it, someone posts it in the gallery! :o

Hmmm ...

It's always good to see lots of work of others.

Cheers y'all.

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find it such a different experience from looking at the work of acknowledged masters.

?
    Are you saying I'm less than an acknowledged master???

BTW, welcome to the 1000 club sometime in the next 15 minutes :rolleyes:
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    It's always good to see lots of work of others.
    I don't want anyone to get me wrong. The galley was the main reason I joined APUG (no it wasn't to run off my mouth so much ) There has been nothing better for my photography then seeing what others are doing. I'm not even saying that I dislike the work like mine that has made me feel like going in another direction. It's just been my personal reaction, a sea change that may or may not have been coming no matter what.

-Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would have to agree with David that the gallery has made me want to shoot more, but I don't think that it has changed my core style. I enjoy looking at the work of others, and viewing their work does sometimes lead to experimentation of new subjects, but what I most enjoy is seeing the work of others on subjects that I usualy shoot.

- Randy

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't want anyone to get me wrong. The galley was the main reason I joined APUG (no it wasn't to run off my mouth so much ) There has been nothing better for my photography then seeing what others are doing. I'm not even saying that I dislike the work like mine that has made me feel like going in another direction. It's just been my personal reaction, a sea change that may or may not have been coming no matter what.

-Bob
    Bob,

Dont be fooled by what is in the gallery as to print quality. Get to galleries and museums as much as you can to see real prints. There is a big difference.

lee\c

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Are you saying I'm less than an acknowledged master???
    Like Picasso once was, you are not yet acknowledged by the philistines who rule popular culture. Here of course, you are a god!

BTW, welcome to the 1000 club sometime in the next 15 minutes :rolleyes:
    yeah, did you notice how Murray abandoned me when he didn't win?
    What a friend he turned out to be!
    rlazell@optonline.net

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    Bob,

Dont be fooled by what is in the gallery as to print quality. Get to galleries and museums as much as you can to see real prints. There is a big difference.

lee\c
    Goes without saying Lee! It's one of the blessings of working in NYC that there are endless possibilities to do so!

BTW, as a photo student my son has had to opportunity to visit museums, don white gloves, and actually hold prints by Adams, Weston et. al. in his hands and look closely at their work. I am soooo jealous!
    -Bob
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yeah, did you notice how Murray abandoned me when he didn't win?
    What a friend he turned out to be!
    O, I won't abandon you. I'm no sore looser. However when your next lens is mailed....it will be in the powder state.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    LOL! It's fitting I think that post 1000 should begin with laughter!

And it should end with thanks to you Jim, and all the other APUGers, Who have been so kind, helpful and patient with my stumble into APUG and LF (with a special shout out to Matt Miller who sold me my beautiful Korona 8x10) And of course thanks most of all for putting up with my seemingly endless chatter!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    O, I won't abandon you. I'm no sore looser. However when your next lens is mailed....it will be in the powder state.
    rlazell@optonline.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin