Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,485   Online: 926

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    The strange thing is those buddhas had already been defaced (literally had their faces knocked off). For a long time such defacing seemed to satisfy the strictures against human representation, but the Taliban obviously took it all to a new level.

My parents smuggled a couple dozen examples of complete statuary out of the country -- bought from farmers who'd found them in their fields. Quite a few of them ended up in the Cleveland Museum of Fine Art, but I still have several proudly sitting in my living room. I'll struggle with the morality of keeping them as soon as I run out of all other worries.
    Poco...

If those examples are mass products made for tourists, no problem. But is they are original Afghanistan art, your parents made criminal act (stealing and smuggling), and it would be only fair to return them to Afghanistan. By you (your parents) and by Cleveland Museum of Fine Art. Sorry for harshness, but that is that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris
    Poco...
    your parents made criminal act (stealing and smuggling),
    I agree, at least on the smuggling part. And I'll consider what to do about it once I inherit them outright. For the moment, though, my torment has limits. The farmers made money and without foreign buyers those statues would not have survived.

I'll likely follow Cleveland's example on the statues' disposition once they're mine outright.

Sorry to have diverted the thread with this, mrcallow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I find most interesting is the most famous portrait taken by a National Geographic photographer was of an Afghan girl. We all have seent he image of that young girl. It graced the cover of their special 100 year anniversary book.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could there be a more compelling case for colour, a more compelling portrait, or, when viewing the before and after images, a better example of why we need to care about the conditions of others?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    Could there be a more compelling case for colour, a more compelling portrait, or, when viewing the before and after images, a better example of why we need to care about the conditions of others?
    Hear, hear.

Shooter
    Large Format
    a website you may be interested in.

The site is www.masoodkamandy.com. Masood Kamandy is trying to establish a photography department at Kabul University, Afganistan.
    The Taliban believed it was a criminal act to take a photograph...so, of course they closed the department

The whole story has me in awe of this people's amazing courage to stand up against a government that was simply evil. Imaging what this country could be like if our people had but a small fraction of their courage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    great photography and powerful story

.... I think the first image of what appears to be kites flying says it all...

a photograph (something you could be killed for) of kite flying (something you could be killed for)
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    a website you may be interested in.

The site is www.masoodkamandy.com. Masood Kamandy is trying to establish a photography department at Kabul University, Afganistan.
    The Taliban believed it was a criminal act to take a photograph...so, of course they closed the department
    A friend of mine worked for Medecins Sans Frontiers in Afghanistan during the Taliban period. I got an email from him soon after he returned from some R&R in Thailand, where the tourist authority describes the country as 'the land of smiles'. By comparison he said, Afghanistan is the land of miserable old bastards with beards. He was constantly getting stopped by the religious police for not having a beard himself, but was always allowed to go when his intepreter explained that he was an infidel.

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone seen the film, "Osama" which came out a couple of years ago? It's about a girl who had to dress like a boy to live in Afganistan, and she goes through all the trouble with the "Taliban" rules. She gets abused, tourtured, and raped/molested in the western standard.

I don't know if this film reveals what is still going on over there today. Or has that really changed ever since the U.S. and its allies attacked the Talibans in 2001 and "democratized" their country?

It was timely for the western audience when the film first came out in theaters back then. But I just saw it the other day for the first time and thought pretty awful about how women and children have to (or had to) live.

Since its a beautiful film, I hope it means far more than its face values.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin