Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,675   Online: 790

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finding Models

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Finding Models

Not sure where to place this question, but this seemed like the most appropriate place. Up til now, most of my work has been natural and urban landscapes. For some time, I've been interested in pursuing portrait and figure work. The thing I find difficult to get the ball rolling is finding models to work with. For those of you who do a lot of this kind of work, how do you find your models and how do you approach them? Seems like a simple problem, but I could really use some suggestions. Thanks!
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You are in California? Be thankful you are not in up-tight Puritanville, otherwise known as Ipswich, Massachusetts.

I subscribe to two on-line "agencies"???. Try them out:

www.ModelMayhem.com - I am Photographer #23252
    www.OneModelPlace.com - Photographer #17165

Let me know what happens.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What Ed said. Also www.GarageGlamour.com

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    You are in California? Be thankful you are not in up-tight Puritanville, otherwise known as Ipswich, Massachusetts.
    Or Utah where the largest University in the state makes thier figure drawing models wear swimsuits. One piece swimsuits for crying out loud I make fun of BYU a lot but it's still a pretty good school.

I attend a couple of (nude) figure drawing sessions locally and when I get to the point where I can do justice to the human form with my camera I will probably ask one of the models what they think.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik
    Not sure where to place this question, but this seemed like the most appropriate place. Up til now, most of my work has been natural and urban landscapes. For some time, I've been interested in pursuing portrait and figure work. The thing I find difficult to get the ball rolling is finding models to work with. For those of you who do a lot of this kind of work, how do you find your models and how do you approach them? Seems like a simple problem, but I could really use some suggestions. Thanks!
    HA!! FINALLY a good reason to get you ower here! I can get you all the nudes you can handle!

Seriously, I think ANY woman (or man) would be HONOURED to be portrayed by you!
    I'll volontear!
    and my girlfriend too.
    together even!

as long as you do your wet plate thingy! We'll keep still!

Kerik: there is no mystery in this. Ask politely, and be honest about it.

have some of your work ready to show them, so they can see your "style" so to speak. Meet with them in a natural place, and show them.

have them have a friend siting in, if you like.

If the have an ounce of curiosity, they'll jump at it.
    the first one is the worst. but it will get easy - believe me.

I have done this for 20 years, and I have never payed a dime for it..

do it right, and they'll love you for it!

(I'm from Denmark, so it might be easier for me, ower here, but I just cant think it should present a big problem)

IF - then come here!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thomas is the one to ask, plus he lives in CA so it might be easier for you to take a trip down if he is willing to set up something for you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My group uses the local art models guild that the art schools use. I had to be interviewed by the lead person and explained and show samples but then once I was accepted I got a list of names and started.
    I've also noticed photographers and other artists using Craigslist. You can try them as well. www.craigslist.org then look for your nearby city.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi
    HA!! FINALLY a good reason to get you ower here! I can get you all the nudes you can handle!
    I've waited 45 years to hear that! But, seriously, I would love to come to Denmark...

Seriously, I think ANY woman (or man) would be HONOURED to be portrayed by you!
    You are too kind - but thank you.

Kerik: there is no mystery in this. Ask politely, and be honest about it. have some of your work ready to show them, so they can see your "style" so to speak. Meet with them in a natural place, and show them. have them have a friend siting in, if you like.
    And thank you for the advice. Also, thanks Art and Ed for the website links. Good places to start. I've also tried Craigslist in my area, but so far no takers. Jorge - sorry, which Thomas are you referring to (I am bad with names...)

I appreciate the input on this. It's something I've been kicking around for several years and really want to see what I can do with the tools at my disposal.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've waited 45 years to hear that! But, seriously, I would love to come to Denmark...

You are too kind - but thank you.

And thank you for the advice. Also, thanks Art and Ed for the website links. Good places to start. I've also tried Craigslist in my area, but so far no takers. Jorge - sorry, which Thomas are you referring to (I am bad with names...)

I appreciate the input on this. It's something I've been kicking around for several years and really want to see what I can do with the tools at my disposal.
    Thomas Sauerwein his APUG sing on is thomassauerwein (Shut, I hope I spelled it right...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sorry, which Thomas are you referring to (I am bad with names...)
    Thomas Sauerwein
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin