Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 780

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not any more, now it's a business that failed the test of time. Imagine if someone took canvas or paint out of the hands of the master painters. Why are the contact printers putting up with the lack of supply of contact printing paper.

I just visited the Louvre in Paris and there where not photographs there. I also visited the Orsay and no photographs there. I ask where there were photographs in Paris and was directed to an show hung on a fence.

Art?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    ... I just thought this woman's point of view rather odd. ...
    Well, that about sums it up, doesn't it?

Cheers, y'all.

David
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=5][FONT=Garamond]St Francis said,
    "Work done with the Hands is Labor.

Done with the Hands and the Mind, it is Craft.

Yet, when done with the Hands,
    the Mind,
    and the Heart,
    it becomes Art."[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Last edited by df cardwell; 12-03-2005 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Painting is chemistry and physics too.
    Yes!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the question of whether photography is art is a wonderful topic for philosophical discussion . . . as long as the other person is paying for the beer.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this is art, then photography is definitely art.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Personally I do not think that photographers should waste any time being at all concerned about the question. This I feel should be just as true of those that market their photographs. Do the best work that you can while ignoring the questions pro or con about art would be my advice.

Can your ego handle being just a photographer and not being concerned about whether or not it is considered by others to be art? I can.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    She said that it is not considered art because, in essence, there is no artist. The final result was simply a matter of chemisty and physics.
    The educated establishment said the same sort of thing about the piano in its early days...the artist was removed from direct contact with the strings by levers and hammers, was mechanical, and therefore wouldn't allow the soul of the artist to be expressed.

Artistic expression originates within the artists mind, and can be manifested in any medium.

Murray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    "Her educational background was in Art History"

Thing about Art History is that you either study it because you have a passion for Art, or you study it because its an easy way of getting your parents (or the state) to pay for another 3 years of school without too much effort on your behalf. I think I can guess which of the two groups this person is in.

By her logic painting isn't art because chemists make the pigments and the brushes are mass produced in factories, Sculpture isn't art because the person just hits bits of rock with a hammer and chisel and... well... it's all just too silly for words. She needs to try putting her brain in to gear before engaging her mouth - but then, why change what I am certain is the habit of a lifetime?...

Point her at some of Gandolfi's images and see what she says then!

Cheers, Bob.
    Actually, I am quite certain that she is well north of fifty years old and continues to pay for her education herself. Quite because it is simply her passion and she now has the means to endulge it. She is one of the most intelligent and interesting people I know.

Neither do I share your opinion of Gandolfi's work by the way....but I obviously, stand in the minority in that regard.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We've had this discussion before, but at that time it was everyone against Michael Scarpitti / Ornello Pederzoli...

It boils down to (as it did then) not a definition of "photography as art" or not, but to different people using different definitions of "art". Some people define "art" very narrowly, like the one wo only included Norman Rockwell. Others have wider definitions, and most "art photographers" would certainly include photography as one possible aspect of "art".

By the Classical (note capitalisation) definition of "art" photography is not an art and cannot be one: There is no Muse named "Argentia" or whatever the muse for photography would have been. But fortunately society has moved a little forward since classical times...

By the same argument, baseball is not a sport. Perfectly correct, if your dictionary is old enough: "Sport" originally meant hunting and angling (and one other - was it bull-baiting?), and nothing else.

But that was then; this is now. And words change with time, and I'm willing to concede that baseball can be a sport (just don't ask me about wrestling).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin