Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,607   Online: 816

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    When I worked as a C++ programmer (about 10 years ago) I came to the conclusion that C++ was invented by Bjarne as a stunt to promote his book. Why else would it have so many boobytraps? Completley unfathomable rules about virtual/non-virtual contrutors/destructors.
    A language I thoroughly enjoy using.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin

Artistic expression originates within the artists mind, and can be manifested in any medium.

Murray
    Careful now. Don't want to leave the door open too wide or the digital folks will want to come in. Oh, I'm such a troublemaker. Oh well, the other moderators can clean up the mess. I'm off to find a suitable Christmas tree and try out my new Jim Galli shutter. more later.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    Now there's a book I'm glad I don't have to read any more!

When I worked as a C++ programmer (about 10 years ago) I came to the conclusion that C++ was invented by Bjarne as a stunt to promote his book. Why else would it have so many boobytraps? Completley unfathomable rules about...

eeee....hooo boy!

And to me, there is a subtle and aesthetically pleasing beauty to the language.

I take absolutely no offense to your view. I too felt that way about C++ at one time. Might have even been ten years ago. The language hasn't changed much in that time. I guess I have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I just visited the Louvre in Paris and there where not photographs there. I also visited the Orsay and no photographs there. I ask where there were photographs in Paris and was directed to an show hung on a fence.

Art?
    The museums in Paris are defined by periods of time. The Louvre artwork pretty much predates photography (though not entirely). The Orsay has an entire room dedicated to early photography, though the presentation is somewhat different than we would expect from a typical museum. The museum time frame ends in the early 1900's. The photography is large volumes of small images that are presented more as history than art. I haven't been to the museum of modern art in Paris, but I would go there and look before writing off the entire city... And there tend to be a number of temporary photography showings in galleries or museums throughout the city. Better luck next visit...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Orsay photography page...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Art, in its broadest meaning, is the expression of creativity or imagination, or both.

Photography is the process of making pictures by means of the action of light. It involves recording light patterns, as reflected from objects, onto a sensitive medium through a timed exposure. The process is done through mechanical, chemical or digital devices commonly known as cameras.

Definitions courtesy of wikipedia.org

Both photographer & artist have tools to create. Whether you choose oils, pastels, charcoals or film to project your final image is irrelevant (in my opinion).
    Last edited by Dorothy Blum Cooper; 12-03-2005 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    Actually, I am quite certain that she is well north of fifty years old and continues to pay for her education herself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    We've had this discussion before, but at that time it was everyone against Michael Scarpitti / Ornello Pederzoli...
    As I recall, Scarpatti also known for frequenting "love of older women" forums...

Perhaps your admin was one of Scarpatti's conquests?

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    As I recall, Scarpatti also known for frequenting "love of older women" forums...

Perhaps your admin was one of Scarpatti's conquests?

Matt
    Hmmm, now that I think of it, I've never seen Scapetti/Ornello and she in the same room at the same time...naw.

Shooter
    Holga
    Strange, the 1960s film "The Eyes of Laura Mars" takes on this exact question with much hubbaballoo. "Are these violent images a way for Mars to insinuate photography into the world of Art?!" or something like that. Had me nonplused; thought that dead horse had been all flogged out some time around 1930.

Art's a pretty slippery word to define, so I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Poetry, after all, is just picking words from a dictionary -- you're not "creating" anything. *cough*.

I think I'll hang my hat on the St. Francis quote. Seems a good redoubt in casual conversion.

-j

Shooter
    35mm
    I think what I find interesting is that we are pretty much talking about the context/history of one's work, even to define the content of it. I mean that's too informationally driven. But art speaks from the heart, and it touches someone else's. It cuts that kind of a path when it communicates with the audience.

The essence of the work of art historians seems to have become more like censorship in a way. It's the same process as contests and competitions where you look at the juries and judges, and I don't know much luck you can have to win their desires that you don't know too much about because you don't really care in the first place.

But you still have to meet their requirements, which may have nothing to with the work itself. So, even if they deny your work, that doesn't mean your work doesn't exist or means/values less than it is. It does exist and has a full body of energy and spirit potentially others can feel. It's a matter of luck that when your work meets the audience, true audience, you will be acknowledged as an artist.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin