Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,118   Online: 1063

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sheesh, you guys....
    Get out and take some pictures!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I figure no one likes being put down for choosing photography as a creative outlet. It is no fun when someone claims a high point from which they can demean another person's efforts at expression.

If I have an interesting photograph and a boring painting on my wall, which one will people look at more than once?

A more interesting question would be: If what I am being shown sucks, is it Art?
    "All my best thoughts I keep to myself"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In case you guys didn't know: In Canada, photography is not an art, from the perspective of the law.

Read the explanation here in my longish post: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...458#post289458

Next question, please.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think she is jealous, of course Photography is an art. While we don't muck around with pencils, paint, clay, crayons etc. We make images, pleasing images with light, mechanics, chemicals and thin strips of plastic film. These images can be for strictly beauty's sake, tell a story, start a controversy, used for purly commercial purposes. Regardless of the goal it is the creative side of your brain that gets the workout.
    As for what other "artists" think of this medium, that is their problem, not mine.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS
    And how are we to distinguish between roses and weeds?
    Thistles are considered flowers in some parts of the world. In
    Nebraska and probably other parts of the US they are considered noxious weeds by the states department of agriculture.

The point being that while I consider photography to be an art form, critics, curators, collectors and peers determine if a particular persons work should be elevated to that lofty standard.

Now that does not mean that the director of the department of photography at MOMA needs to like your work. If it brings some joy and satisfaction to you and a few others, does it really matter how anyone else classifies it?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin