Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,753   Online: 1014

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Of course you could just pull out your handy 9mm and shoot at him.
    Why would you use a fisheye?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    It ain't the cops, folks. Fire the commander in chief.

DF,

There is a hell of alot of levels of want to be bosses between the commander in chief and the cop in the field, you might want to fire some of the go betweens before you start the rhetoric about the commander in chief..

I myself don't seem to have a problem anywhere I shoot, and alot of it, I think comes down to the attitude shown the officer in the field.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not what you are doing but what you are perceived to be doing.

It would be interesting to see a Social Science experiment by dressing for the shoot. First dress down, with old clothes etc.. Second dress with suit and tie. Third put on a road workers jacket or a red flag safety gear like surveyors wear and a yellow hat. Fourth security guard coat and pants with an obvious badge hanging around the neck that says "Official Fine Arts Photographer" on it.

Anyway you get the picture, or maybe not!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    . . . with an obvious badge hanging around the neck that says "Official Fine Arts Photographer" on it.
    I like that idea. Maybe a blue windbreaker to go with it that says [COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Photon[/SIZE][/COLOR] [SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]Police[/COLOR][/SIZE] on the back
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

It would be interesting to see a Social Science experiment by dressing for the shoot. First dress down, with old clothes etc.. Second dress with suit and tie. Third put on a road workers jacket or a red flag safety gear like surveyors wear and a yellow hat. Fourth security guard coat and pants with an obvious badge hanging around the neck that says "Official Fine Arts Photographer" on it.

Or get four guys in hard hats standing around you and it would look like a city public works job.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

or strip and do nude photography
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    DF,

There is a hell of alot of levels of want to be bosses between the commander in chief and the cop in the field, you might want to fire some of the go betweens before you start the rhetoric about the commander in chief..

I myself don't seem to have a problem anywhere I shoot, and alot of it, I think comes down to the attitude shown the officer in the field.

Dave
    Yes.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been questioned a handful of times when out shooting (by cops and concerned citizens.) I've found that a respectful and friendly explanation of what you are doing goes a long way towards diffusing the situation. I've even let a few people take a look through the viewfinder which usually leads to pleasantries being exchanged and the whole matter gets dropped. Getting defensive and carrying on about one's constitutional rights only makes matters worse even if you are correct.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Shelf Life for feeling this way.

So sorry to hear about your incident- I've tried all kinds of things. At one point I took to carrying around a laminated copy of the statute that says when and what one can photo. This did more harm than good.

People just don't want to hear that another has rights, when they, themselves are trying to "enforce" laws that don't exist.

It is a very horrible feeling to be accused or questioned for using the art of our right, photography. It is sort of a strange almost "guilt" like you did do something criminal, because these are people who are in some twisted authority, in which THEY ,of all people, should be a good judge of situations and character. In reality they are often trained to assume the worst , so most are terrible judges. These days being "presumed guility" seems to be "protecting the public". I disagree.

Did you know that many cities are only using a single cop per car and per duty now? The reason for this being that the more police there are together, the more likely a bad decision will be made. ...interesting.

Of course, I would like to hear that you didn't HAVE to explain yourself, because there wasn't resonable cause? You did explain yourself as a courtesy to them, right?That's what I did, but they pushed it further and further....

Hope this doesn't keep you indoors, (it sure did me) feeling a bit paralyzed, for months on end. You did NOTHING wrong, they suspended you!!

Wishing you Happy Holidays!!!!
    Tanya

PS- Once in Layton, Utah I saw a police officer and told him I would be shooting in the area he responded with anger "What are you telling me for, you can shoot anything you want, this IS America". Then the convenience store clerk also got a giggle out of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input, Tanya.

So much of your post rings true, but I have to disagree about most cops being terrible judges. By and large I think they're pretty reasonable people and able to size up a situation well. The problem comes when you draw a large group of them, because one or two are bound to be hard-asses and can affect the entire group. When I launch into my idiot-grinned rhapsody about the light, color, contrast of what I was shooting I pay particular attention to make good eye contact with both the nicest and meanest cop in the bunch -- completely win over the one and make headway with the other and it seems you're in the clear.

As far as rights go, I don't think any of these guys want to be lectured or badgered. but it's all in the phrasing. I always say, "Jeeze, I thought it was legal to photograph from a public street, was I trespassing?" Then they have to admit I wasn't trespassing and gets them in the direction of conceding which laws I hadn't broken and that I had, in fact, broken none.

This was my sixth major run-in with cops and they've all turned out okay eventually. I was just wondering whether there was a way of getting past the initial "I could die if I make the wrong move" stage more quickly. I've decided to print up some "Michael Veit -- Photographer" cards so I can pass one along with my license first thing. Seems like it couldn't hurt.

-Michael

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin