Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,718   Online: 840

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

You photograph what you can, when you can and protect yourself at all times. A good friend has a nice collection of work given him by a Russian Camera Club from before the break-up. He had to hide a lot of it in getting it out of the country. Many images of the citizens hanging from the statues, war memorials and making fun of the government. If the government guys had seen them some of the photographers would be dead as a result. This didn't stop them making the photos and finding ways to get them out of the country.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco
    This morning I had another run-in with the law. Apparently a teutonic looking guy on crutches with a camera looked very much like a terrorist to a passing vigilante motorist and it wasn't more than a few minutes later that I was forced to explain myself to six cops. Going into more detail would be boring.

My question is, has anyone found a successful strategy for making these encounters go more smoothly ...like getting your name on file with cops ahead of time so they only need to call in to check on you? It takes so damned long to talk 'em down from their urge to shoot something. Any ideas? I realize there have been threads on this before, but I want to make sure I'm not missing any smart, new ideas.

-Michael
    HI,
    Just vote against everybody who is now in office, especially the executive branch administration...EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Documentation

[QUOTE=moose10101]Can you provide documentation for that assertion? One officer per car is standard here because of pure economics; extra vehicles cost a lot less than extra people. And the officers I know feel a lot more vulnerable working alone, which makes them a lot more likely to be ultra-defensive.

Yes, here is some documentation:
    Carlene Wilson. "Research on One-and Two-Person Patrols: Distinguishing Fact from Fiction." South Australia: Australasian Centre for Policing Research. 1991.
    Scott H. Decker and Allen E. Wagner. "The Impact of Patrol Staffing on Police-Citizen Injuries and Dispositions." Journal of Criminal Justice. 1982. Vol. 10. p. 375-382.
    Journal of Criminal Justice:
    http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/jou...on#description

Statistics.... well, I am as skeptical as they get on statistics.
    The Journal seems to have the most information on the psychological implications of this phenomenon.
    I had heard of this years ago, but dismissed it, not because I didn't believe it but out of ignorance of the fact that it may one day have some bearing in my life. The next I read of it was in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Blink" (which I highly recommend), this was after I had been arrested but before my DHS /FBI interrogation so, naturally, paid attention.
    I am going to try to find the exact cities that are enforcing this here, as I have heard which ones they are (in my readings) but have not made contact myself.
    I would have to agree that in that line of work you would think one would feel safer working with another person. Lets just say these stats are true...could it also be that less mistakes are made because one would be more passive, in otherwords, inaction? Therefore, not being defensive enough?
    Hope this Helps,
    Tanya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Or get four guys in hard hats standing around you and it would look like a city public works job.
    Michael
    . . . or a Village People concert (Perfect. Add one guy in a police uniform!).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,
    I'm brand new here. I was out of photography for a long time but this year got back into it. I actually got into it with the police many years ago while a teenager. Seems the businesses don't like people taking pictures around their locations. This was way before 9-11 and they were still paranoid. I got thrown out of the mall for photography. Also anywhere near the base can cause problems. 9-11 has only made things worse, they were already that way in certain places. Police often think people are casing places to commit burglaries or robberies by photographing them.

Because of the negative things that happened back then I am a lot more careful where I photograph and what I photograph now. I generally don't take photographs inside the city limits unless I am on open space or city park lands, city cops don't care in those places. I live outside the city here in the far north valley so I shoot a lot around here. The sheriff doesn't seem to care, they haven't even questioned me once. I also go to national forest and blm properties nearby. The rangers actually tell me about good places to photograph.

It is indeed very sad about the harassment but since this locale has a big air force base, a national nuclear lab, and a huge stockpile of nuclear warheads there is no point in antagonizing the authorities. There's too much to photograph in this state to mess with areas where we aren't wanted.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad indeed, all the places I would photograph are well documented beyond what I would do anyway. When I went to Brooks I was told not to photograph in "Malls". The setups are protected by the owners/artists. Seems they are like set designers?
    The only way to combat the situation is to get out there and photograph. I think there should be a World Wide Photography Day where everyone gets their cameras out and take pictures throughout the day.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc5p
    I got thrown out of the mall for photography.
    A mall is private property. They can, within limits, place restrictions on your activities within the property. Photography in public places is a completely different matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A mall is private property. They can, within limits, place restrictions on your activities within the property. Photography in public places is a completely different matter.
    You are absolutely correct. I was 17 years old at the time and didn't know better. The funny thing was the other mall (Winrock) didn't really care, I talked to the managers of both. I was told at Winrock no tripods, flash, or "bothering shoppers or shop keepers." Wouldn't even try that now.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=bjorke]"What Would Zeus Do?"•QUOTE]

Maybe we should all give up big cameras and start using a Minox to be incospicuous!

WWJBD? What would James Bond Do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    or strip and do nude photography
    In my case that would be a crime!

After causinig the blindness of everyone within miles, much like viewing the flash from a nuclear explosion, I'd probably wind up in the Hague, charged with a crime against humanity...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin