Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,254   Online: 827

Shooter
    Multi Format

Considerations when printing 'existing negatives'

What are they?

I own about 20 4x4 glass-plate negatives from around 1890-ish. I think they're from the Portland, Oregon area, which is where I was living when I obtained them.

I am printing one of them for the alt. print exchange, and some questions popped into my mind while printing them.

How do I attribute them? Do I mention the era they're from? Do I mention they're glass-plate negatives? Do I just print and present them and not say anything? Clearly they're not my images, but now I own the negatives.

Just some thoughts...this is the first time I've run into this dillemma.

Thanks,

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Attribute them as best you can, making clear they are not your negs, I'd say.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Holga
    I've seen people attribute them as: Photo by Unknown, Copyright Michael Slade

it indicates you own the intellectual rights to the image.

IANAL: I believe copyright on prints is dated to the moment of the print's creation, not the negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perfect. That's basically what I was lookin for also.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke
    IANAL: I believe copyright on prints is dated to the moment of the print's creation, not the negative.
    But, author rights for particular image are on image, that is on negative or in this case glass plates. If no other contract is made, author rights are valid up to 70 years after authors death. Authors right are transferred to its heirs (children, etc...) if author have them in moment of death. Of course different countries have different laws, but usually is like I described.

So, if glass plates are in your possesion, and you are owner of them, author and his/hers heirs still have their rights, oposite to owners rights you have Michael. But, as plates are made in 1890es, and if there is no other contracts or heirs of author, I think what jvarsoke said would be best way to go.

So, like museums title images: Image title, year of making, author unknown, printed by Michael Slade year of printing, copyright Michael slade (if authors rights are not on other person by contract or authors heirs)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin