Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,123   Online: 1171

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most calendars in the US have the week starting on Sunday and ending with Saturday. Calendars in S. America and in many parts of Europe have it beginnng with Monday and ending with Sunday.

Basically there are no rules, except what is 'tradition'. I like the idea of having a 'week-end', so I put Sunday as the last day.

There is some interesting calendar history as to which day goes where, and after reading it all I still decided to put Sunday as the last day of the week.

Hopefully it doesn't mess too many people up.
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Slade
    Thanks again...I just missed you when I called earlier. They said you had just left. I'm thinking you headed out for some Christmas shopping.
    I actually leave work at 2:30, I start at 6am. The folks up front work bankers hours.:rolleyes: Those are some great images you have there!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gary,

Here's what my press operator said after I re-worked the images with Michael's CMYK settings and sent him a .pdf file to proof.

"holy crap.

it works like a charm!

I just did the pdf file, didin't touch the tiffs

bring 'em all baby!!

Wow this is truly an eye opener, and proof that you've never been in a business long enough to not have stuff to learn about! "

So, I'm re-working all of the other 12 files, uploading them to my site for him to download in the morning. I'll have a proof to sign off on by noon. The print job will run on Thursday I'm guessing...hopefully they'll be bound by Friday/Sat.

We'll see...
    Michael Slade

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best printing press in the world is only as good as it's operator! Short runs of accurate color are always difficult, and can run as high as a 15 percent waste of stock and ink getting ballenced. I have never taken anyones word for how competent a print shop may be, I want to see actual printing they have done for previous customers that parallel the job you are submitting. I don't mean print samples of the job, I mean the actual printed job. Just my opinion, Charlie..................

A great printer can make a poor photographer's work look great/wonderful.
    A poor printer can make a great photographer work look horrible!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was hesitant to post this topic originally, not thinking that it would have much relevance to a photography site.

I'm glad I did, because the information shared in this thread proved pivotal to the sucess of this job.

Staying the course with my original printer, being patient, doing my own research and finding out the proper settings for the CMYK conversion for their press has paid tremendous dividends.

I got the final proofs today and they look stupendous.

The printer is doing dances in the back room they are so happy.

They'll do my print-run tomorrow, head to the binder on Friday and hopefully they'll be done in time for me to give them out for Christmas.

The moral of the story? Hmmm...I'm still digesting for the moral. There might be more than one.

Ironically I was photographing some Gucci day-planners for a client, and in Italy, or for Gucci at least, Saturday and Sunday are the last two days of the week.

Michael Slade

Shooter
    127 Format
    Sunday is the "7th day"...

I'd say the moral is that it's important to find a printer who WANTS to get it right and work with them, rather than a printer who COULD get it right but passes you of with good enough.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian,

That's a good moral, and ultimately is what happened.

I got them back from the bindery today and they are wonderful. Started giving them away less than an hour after getting them and I was proud to have my name on it.
    Michael Slade

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin