Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1343

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    127 Format
    They'd have a hard job PROVING that still photo's were taken during the play, rather than during a staged photoshoot of the actors on stage, in costume... I'd say you're on pretty safe ground with stills. If you're REALLY worried, get the actors to move around the stage as they would, but NOT speak any of the lines, and photograph that!

Videoing the play would be an obvious no-no. However if you're interested in shooting the PRODUCTION of the play, then short extracts could probably fall under fair use. Shooting from the wings, and keeping the sections of the play to a few seconds, while cutting it with other material would give you stronger argument here.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    Videoing the play would be an obvious no-no. However if you're interested in shooting the PRODUCTION of the play, then short extracts could probably fall under fair use. Shooting from the wings, and keeping the sections of the play to a few seconds, while cutting it with other material would give you stronger argument here.

Ian
    Ian, thank you for your comment. Maybe less than a minute out of 20 minutes of a edited video/film is okay? I know it depends on the content, but just generally speaking about the length and the ratio. The worst comes worst, I'll kill the audio for those cuts that are no more than a few.

Right, it's the production of the play as you pointed it out that I'm trying to show in public as a short documentary piece. And as far as I know, I'm getting more confident that it's safe and arguable at this point after getting a lot of good advice from you fellow APUGers.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    So, should I write a letter directly to the author to ask for his permisson in case he would care about my little video/film work?
    If you decide to check into the rights to do this, check with someone on the cast/crew for the "book" or with the music director for the score. That will tell you who handles the rights. The show is probably handled by one of 2 groups. MTI (Music Theater International) is one, I forget the other one.

Matt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    If you decide to check into the rights to do this, check with someone on the cast/crew for the "book" or with the music director for the score. That will tell you who handles the rights. The show is probably handled by one of 2 groups. MTI (Music Theater International) is one, I forget the other one.

Matt.
    Matt, thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin