Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,727   Online: 735

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found my work to evolve by leaps and bounds. I shoot 35mm 75% Black and white and still have not mastered the art of developing and enlarging. How I frame a shot has improved 200% and I have found my judgement on what to shoot has changed. The best way to learn is to ask questions and gain feedback from your peers.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Images
    Ahhh hell. I typed a response to this but it just depressed the hell out of me. It is good to read about people realizing their visions and improving.

Not being able to control certain circumstances is a real bummer.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    When I first developed an interest in photography my work was terrible. It has steadily gone down hill fom there.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Strangely enough, the greatest change my photography took was when I took a long break from it just recently, and the other time was when I was on a deadline for a photo project for school. I think the pause in my frenzy of picture taking has helped me slow down and stop shooting reflexively. The photo project helped me become more creative and whimsical in my still life photography.

I guess I realized that I was becoming more thoughtful and discriminating in my picture taking just recently. I was down at my aunt and uncle's for Christmas break and we had gone to Avala beach for an hour or so. Barely anyone was there, the weather was cool, mostly cloudy, and the sea was working itself into 6-10ft swells. I had my mother's Seagull 4A-107, loaded with PanF+. I must have taken close to 5 or 6 photos before we left. It was such a rewarding experience because I knew that more than a few photos I had taken would be great. This wasn't arrogance on my part. I just knew that more than a few were great. I guess it was me just willing to wait and watch for the right moment, and recognizing when the moment came. I might almost say that Divine Providence must have been in full flow at the time. I don't know. It makes one glad they were there.

Drew
    "But what is strength without a double share of wisdom." --John Milton

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at something that doesn't really matter." --Unknown missionary

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I became to think why to shoot more than what to shoot.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always just followed my nose so to speak. Each year or over time I tend to find new things -- some I follow up on others I store for later. Every year or over time I lose interest in some things or even grow to abhor them. I read the tech threads here and elsewhere to keep my mind focused on the less thrilling, but peer to the thrilling aspects. The thrilling parts, the parts that relate to the message and the final image is fed by all things not photographic and seldom artistic. All in all, each year (or over time) I tend to get 'better' -- like overcoming a mental disorder.

As for focal lengths -- wide for things needing to be big, long for things requiring intimacy. When both are required I go into convulsions.

Happy new year.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I find it really amazing how, I think I'm changing things up all the time adjusting and correcting yet when I look back, all the images look the same. kind of concerns me a bit but not enough to change. I shoot wide, normal and long all the time. Long probably the least. Usually reserved for portraits. sometimes graphic details. I like wide a lot! love to place the horizon line. It can be done with longer lenses but usually has more of an impact the wider the lense. Even with 35mm, the shift lenses really help. That is the frustraiting thing with the XPAN. As much as I love that camera there is no movements. I feel caged!
    I guess if there is one thing I'd like to work more effeciently at it would be "street shooting" I have way to much editing and to few successes. Kind of the nature of the beast but chosing the right place at the right time more often would make things a lot more productive.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the role of digital photography in the evolutionary process. For me, digital has futher strengthed my desire to concntrate on LF photography; I still shoot some 35mm, but not the volume I once did.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    The one thing that I haven't seen mentioned is the role of digital photography in the evolutionary process.
    Good point ! I've tried digital. It made me realize I love film.
    And, oh yes. I became to shoot larger format.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    When I first developed an interest in photography my work was terrible. It has steadily gone down hill fom there.
    What Claire said... just further down the hill.
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin