Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,188   Online: 664

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    What Claire said... just further down the hill.
    Maybe we can have a bottom of the hill gang.
    I became so discouraged this year I haven't taken a photo for months. BUT it's a New Year, so I will go back over the basics and start fresh.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've enjoyed reading this thread immensely. I chose not to even bother when I saw the title a couple of weeks ago, evolution of my personal photography, oh please. What I've come to realize recently is the amount of knowledge it takes to make even small changes in my work. As an amateur photographer, I have no schedules, deadlines, tasking or assignments. This is freedom, especially with my work environment as it is. Why do I do this, then? I guess it is simply a love of making things, "hands on" and "brain on" while being completely engaged and immersed in seeing. I no longer build things for a living, so I must create something with my hands.

My progress has been mostly in a technical direction, but this has allowed me to gain confidence in my ability to see a scene, compress the light and then interpret through a sheet of paper what I see. What a wonderful sense of freedom in taking the shot now, compared to "sweating bullets" over exposure and development even two years ago. I started in 2000 with summer vacation, 35mm and E6, but now am using 4x5 regularly and b&w. I actually printed three color shots from last year. The majority now is in b&w, 4x5, with a smattering of 8x10 (and rollfilm for convenience although at times it is anything but convenient).

I continue to read, make small progress and work on "seeing" which is so much more difficult than looking. Thanks for posting this thread. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko
    I became to think why to shoot more than what to shoot.
    Me too. Have installed a darkroom in my basement to develop and print b/w. Experimenting with Polaroid (so sad about SX-70 being discontinued this year). Several projects in mind, one for my 24mm (Canon A1), one for my Ansco Shur Flash 6x9, and one for my Falcon Miniature (127). I like suiting each camera to the subject. Now I just need the proper negative carriers for all these formats!
    As for evolution, I can only judge how I feel, not being in the market or a professional. Since I took my first class I know I've improved, but I wonder if I'm spreading myself too thin instead of focusing on one format. I love the work. I've enjoyed reading this thread too - inspires me - Happy New Year.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    Maybe we can have a bottom of the hill gang.
    I became so discouraged this year I haven't taken a photo for months. BUT it's a New Year, so I will go back over the basics and start fresh.
    Sad to hear that, Carol. Hope you do get out and take some pics sometime soon and post them here.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    35mm
    I also went a number of years without shooting very many frames. Then two years ago a friend gave some of my photos, from a trip, some negative criticism. I used that to fuel my enthusiasm and haven't stop shooting since. Friends are now telling how much I have improved. Thanks for that critique Michael!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started getting serious about taking picture about this time last year, so it's been kind of a 0-60 acceleration this year. I can say for sure that technically I've got better, and nearly to the first point at which I want to be: normal film, normal dev, normal contrast, normal paper, etc. Obviously, my theoretical knowledge is light years ahead of what I knew last year, but that's only a helper to understanding.

I just looked at some earlier pictures I've taken and more recent ones, and what I really need working on is the subjects and composition. I've stuck mostly to wide angles in 35mm, so I think I'll go on a bout of 50mm to think more about composition. I like my MF pics more, not just because of the better quality in the neg, but also because of the WLF square compostion.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    It has steadily gone down hill fom there.
    Good one Claire.

Well there are Olympic medals up for grabs in a few weeks. I'm sure that there is a wealth of advice here to accelerate the process. No holding back, it really would put APUG on the map! Of course you must aim for the Silver medal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The way I feel is that if I never go out and shoot another frame I have so many negatives to print that I could spend the rest of my life in the darkroom.

I was amazed when I got out some of my 120 negs just last night to find that only about a dozen of some 2500 or more were actually printed. I have cases of 4x5's from all along the the west coast of the US that I haven't printed. I put a loupe to them and I can say that I was at least consistent in technique.

Sure I'm disappointed by the companies that are dropping out of the scene but that's the life of the industry. It's just unfortunate that we have to see it. As for large format lenses, I have mostly Red Dot Artars and many Turner Reichs with some various ones like Kodak's. All in all some really fine lenses. I have some Schneider lenses too but like the Artars best. The shutters; Ilex and Betax, Alphax and Rapax and Copal.

In the darkroom I have a Nikon 150 I bought new, older now and extremely well make metal and a Schneider Componon I bought new. I have a 360 Schneider Componon for 8x10. I keep all of these in the best conditions possible because I believe that I should do what someone somewhere did it for my older lenses.

If there is an Analog type photography in the future I will be providing some very nice equipment after I am gone. For me the personal part is a custodian of the tools as well as the images I have done with them.

It's not ego, it's respect for the medium. That's what happens when you reach middle age. I never dreamed when I was younger that I would see myself as a traveler through time. Some of the equipment I have now was old when I was a child. When I see a date on a lens of say 1906 it really takes on a special meaning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm learning how to be less serious about being serious. Letting go, and flowing with what I see around me, rather than constantly striving for better images. Or as athletes sometimes say, 'playing relaxed'.

Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Of course you must aim for the Silver medal."
    Baxter

Don't forget, they've removed a lot of silver from the silver medals, they are no longer silver rich. tim

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin