Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,458   Online: 1164

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've shot since I was a kid, and even though I have few images from the early years that I would show anyone, they mean a lot to me and I'm glad I still have them. Over the years I moved from 127 color to 35mm color, where I stayed for many years. About three years ago I started shooting with a stereo camera and love it. Then, about 1 year ago, I developed my first black and white film, which led to a darkroom at home.

I now shoot 6x4.5 and 4x5, and almost no 35mm at all. About %75 of my film use is black and white and rest is color. My color work is almost always in stereo, with the remainder being standard tourist snapshot stuff, while my black and white work is done in the larger formats and is more deliberate.

One thing that has not changed is my attitude toward taking pictures. I never agonized over whether or not to expose, I just exposed if I though it might be interesting. I found that I learned quite a bit from looking at less than fantastic images, and I still shoot that way today. If I see something that might be interesting, I shoot. If I don't like the results, I go back and do it differently, or not. Either way, I have everything that I ever shot. Boxes and boxes and boxes of negs and prints. And yes, I do look back through them from time to time.

I don't print a lot of my negatives, but what I do print hangs only in the house or my office. I have never had any ambition to sell my images, but rather enjoy just shooting for fun. If I like it, it was worth it, if not, it was still fun to shoot. The joys of being a true amateur, %100 for fun, %100 of the time.

Although my formats have changed over time, my style has always been the same, and I'm OK with that. I figure it means that I am doing what I want without outside pressure to follow someone else's' path. My results seem to please me more often as time rolls on, but I don't really worry about it when I only get one good shot out of a roll.

Thanks for asking the question. It was a blast reading everyones' answers.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Carol, I've hit rock bottom in the last five years and what I did was turn to my old pastime of writing. I picked up writing in a journal, I fill one a year now. Everything goes into it. I published poems in college and gradually found myself writing poetry again. Soon I realized I had more than enough for a book. I am still writing and have yet to complete the book. I had back surgery and would lay there at three in the morning thinking of all the places I photographed. What I needed was something creative. I know that I can go long periods without photography but I find myself writing or looking at art in books or making simple drawings in my journal. I find that I am less frustrated by the lack of producing a major work of photography that way. Do as much or little that makes you happy. There are more people out there belonging to the "Bottom of the Hill Club" than they would like to admit. Studying art, reading, writing, perfecting or learning to cook, or just taking some time to see how the rest of the World is doing only makes the photography better. A photography teacher once told us that if you want to be a better photographer read literature and study art. You never know what you'll find at the bottom of the hill, maybe a cool lake or river, or a meadow with flowers.

Curt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting thread. I've been taking pictures one way or another for over 50 years - the last couple of years I've shot only 4x5", very few frames, and the best pictures always seem to be those I shoot with a 210 mm lens (in other words, about 1.5x the "standard" focal length, not a focal length I have for any other format).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I started photography for the obvious reason that's evident to any teenaged boy: to meet girls. Pretty-much haven't progressed since.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    I started taking photos about 2 1/2 years ago when i noticed that things looked better in black and white.
    Looking back my photography has improved greatly in terms of my technical abilities as well as subject matter and the way i think. For me the darkroom work is as important as the actual photos so the possibilities are endless.
    I'm now in my first year of a BA in photography and like it very much, but often think about how rare it is to see any really really 'groundbreaking' work, everything seems to be a re-working of something else.

And thats my first post out of the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my "personal" photography evolved when i decided to break rules -- i heard they are meant to be broken ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    I started photography for the obvious reason that's evident to any teenaged boy: to meet girls. Pretty-much haven't progressed since.
    The girls or the photography?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Quote Originally Posted by rhiannon
    I started taking photos about 2 1/2 years ago when i noticed that things looked better in black and white.
    Looking back my photography has improved greatly in terms of my technical abilities as well as subject matter and the way i think. For me the darkroom work is as important as the actual photos so the possibilities are endless.
    I'm now in my first year of a BA in photography and like it very much, but often think about how rare it is to see any really really 'groundbreaking' work, everything seems to be a re-working of something else.

And thats my first post out of the way.
    Groundbreaking is an interesting concept. Some people do groundbreaking for the sake of being a ....well, a groundbreaker. Someone who looks at pictures my say wow, that's really different. But does that have anything to do with whether it is good or not? I don't know.

I think we do, and probably should, do photography for our own sake, not necessarily whether someone else likes it. During that time we will all metamorphosize into something else. It's just our growth. Sometimes we will be stagnant and other times make great progress. As it should be.

Many on this site complain about the fact that everything is derivitive or boring or whatever. The answer is maybe so what. If you enjoy doing it, do it for the enjoyment.

I play the piano. I don't write new songs and I certainly ain't groundbreaking. I just play stuff thousands of others have played before but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Groundbreaking is an interesting concept. Some people do groundbreaking for the sake of being a ....well, a groundbreaker. Someone who looks at pictures my say wow, that's really different. But does that have anything to do with whether it is good or not? I don't know.

I think we do, and probably should, do photography for our own sake, not necessarily whether someone else likes it. During that time we will all metamorphosize into something else. It's just our growth. Sometimes we will be stagnant and other times make great progress. As it should be.

Many on this site complain about the fact that everything is derivitive or boring or whatever. The answer is maybe so what. If you enjoy doing it, do it for the enjoyment.

I play the piano. I don't write new songs and I certainly ain't groundbreaking. I just play stuff thousands of others have played before but I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Michael
    Well said!

- Randy

rml

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My photography has transformed over the years: from SLR to rangefinder, and from film to digital. I've made excursions into panorama, Holga, even B&W, but none have been able to capture me fully. I use them in addition to my regular (digital!) shooting.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin