Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,690   Online: 880

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    somehow I think that rml is not a dedicated film user.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I find myself spending more time in the darkroom than out in the field and that is really different for me. I have so much film to print, I decided to try and catch up and also find out what I really like to print. I used to run around shooting anything willy nilly and having a blast but after developing the film I didn't do much with them. Now I am becoming a better printer and learning how to shoot better so I have a better negative. I am also learning what I really like, what I should be out shooting. I can look back and see that I have come a long way but boy do I have a ways to go . The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    somehow I think that rml is not a dedicated film user.
    lee\c
    Actually he really isn't, and he said it clearly, didn't he ?

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Before Christmas I was simply out shooting with my digital point and shoot. I thought that what I was shooting was fairly cool at the time. At that time my father was getting more and more into b&w work and I felt it was somewhat boring or antiquated. "Who wants b&w when we can have color? This is the 21st century is it not?"

Then Christmas came and my father gave me a 35mm SLR and four rolls of black and white film. He also paid for me to take a introductory b&w course with a woman who lives in the same live/work building as him. We had some basic lessons on the mechanics of the camera and how to shoot then we spent the day shooting. During that day, the instructor, who I had given my website addy to so she could see my work to that point, made a simple comment that changed my whole way of shooting. She said that up to that point, I was shooting strictly in a documentary sense. I wasn't adding anything of myself into the images. That little bit of advice burrowed it's way into my head and took root. I got up early the next day, went out and shot another roll of film with that mindset in full force and then we spent the day developing and printing. It was like night and day really. I could see a very marked improvement in my shooting already.

So now, I have gone from shooting digital color, documentary shots to strictly shooting b&w film, with a far stronger personal presense to them. I know how to develop my own film and do my own printing and toning. All this in only the last 3-4 months. I'm also loving b&w with a passion now. It really suits my prefered imagery (urban/industrial) so much moreso than color in my opinion. I look at my old shots and truthfully, there's only a few that I actually like now. Most just don't do anything for me now.

It's funny to look back now. I almost feel like it was another lifetime ago, like I'm a completely different person now. I just can't wait to see what the next 4 months will bring about.
    Richard

siorai.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin