Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Desk top publishing photos

Hey Murray,
    I think that John has a great idea for you. Make books. One of a kind artist books are a genre that you might examine. How about desk top publishing your photos into books?
    It's a crisis for every artist when the image in their mind does not match the image that they have produced. Have you ever made a photo that is 100%?
    I would estimate that 99.9% percent of my work never sees a frame or a wall. They live in empty paper boxes. I've never really made any photos for any reason other than I enjoy making them. Let others see your work in whatever context they choose. Enjoy the trip because you will never really get to the destination. That is a positive statement.
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    Thanks John, you've given me something to chew on (really like your coffee series by the way!)

Murray

(added later) I just searched the galleries and those photographs taken for a coffee shop are gone...they were yours, right?

thanks for the compliments about the coffee series murray!

sorry, i tend to put'em up, and after a week or 2 i take'm down

oh, about bookbinding books:
    you might want to check out keith smith's series. if you wanna get fancy, he has all sorts of stitches &C in these books of his ...
    http://www.keithsmithbooks.com/

careful though -- book-making is a lot of fun and kind of addicting.

ian greant, here on apug, makes hand stitched books too -
    absolutely beautiful ones!

take care

john

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by severian
    Enjoy the trip because you will never really get to the destination. That is a positive statement.
    And taken in a positive way

My quest to making fine prints has been a long one. It's a little disconcerting to have finally arrived only to find it's the wrong place. After being focused on a goal for so long I'm a tad lost, not knowing for sure which way to go next. It wouldn't be the same if it was easy !!!!!

Murray

Murray, it sounds like your thought the whole time you were a strictly visual person only to realize that maybe you are a tactile as well. Studies have been done on different types of people and some are predominately visual, some tactile, some auditory etc. Most people are a combination of some sort.

You must feel that when framed, your finished pictures have the subconscious look of a window, which you feel is separating your audience from your work. What you really want is a more up close tactile representation. Books sound like one way to achieve it. Portfolio cases that the mounted prints are incased in, is another.

I once had the opportunity to buy some Hurrell prints and they came in a portfolio case with a classy slide top that housed about 10 prints about 11x14. It was definitely a "personal" type of presentaion.

Try experimenting with different tactile presentations and see what satisfies you.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    You must feel that when framed, your finished pictures have the subconscious look of a window, which you feel is separating your audience from your work. What you really want is a more up close tactile representation.
    BINGO!

The nearest photography gallery is 1000 miles down the road, so I'm flying on my own without the chance to see how other photographers have approached this. I'll just have to play with the options until the answer slaps me in the face!

Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin