Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1148

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any work of art should be able to stand and be judged and liked or disliked on its own merits. I have had several long discussions with a very well known singer songwriter. She hates talking about the technical or emotional background to her songs - they speak for themselves. People either like them or dislike them, and she doesn't care either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In a less confrontive vein, I think in pictures... symbols, images, allegories and so on.

Often it takes days, weeks... longer, to explain what I see clearly. I'm a crappy debater for this reason. I write better than I talk. But I'm a better photographer.

It isn't a matter of being inarticulate, it's about the richness, and density of the image. It takes a lot of effort to sort out the content.

Maybe this is why WINOGRAND had to put so much time betweeen making the picture and printing it. Or not.

On the other hand, analytical thinkers go step to step, and brick by brick, to get to the picture. It probably takes as long for either type of artist to get both words and picture... it's just different.

Family joke: after I've been 2 hours on the phone, my wife asks me what was i talking about. I usually stand with my mouth open and can't begin to answer. A day later, though, and I can replay the conversation.

For a real thrill, spend an afternoon with mrcallow...
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well Dan and Kevin,

I guess I just like to talk to people about things I love, and after almost 30 years of doing it, it has proved to be profitable!

If your an Ansel or a Weston, your work may be able to stand on its own, if you a Parker, you might have to ad lib a bit and talk to people!

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course his works stand alone. I am just suggesting that the daybooks have boosted the monetary value of his work.

Suppose Weston lived in a cave somewhere and printed his work and talked to nobody. You think his work would of had the same impact that it did?
    As I mentioned before, art does not live in a vacum. Photographers that want to promote their work benefit from having people skills.

Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Without Weston's images, Daybooks would have no market. Not the other way around. Weston dominated the planet of photography in a way few of us comprehend.

art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    For a real thrill, spend an afternoon with mrcallow...
    Don, I'll take that as a complement and I certainly have enjoyed our conversations.

I do know why I shoot and can tell you, but wouldn't if one of my images were infront of you. Each picture is its own story even if it does mostly fit under a large umbrella.

Quote Originally Posted by avandesande
    Photographers that want to promote their work benefit from having people skills.
    These are seperat ideas though, are they not -- Doing a good job of Selling your art and doing a good job of producing art? The latter can surly live without the former but the former...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave, there's nothing wrong with enjoying talking to people about the things you love. Some people like doing that, and some don't. But not talking about it doesn't detract from the artisitic merit of your creation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kevin,

Never meant to imply that it did, I just want to have an edge, my pictures are good and have sold well for many years now, but the story really helps out alot and makes people more comfotable owning my artwork.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dave, I agree with you. I am sure that the story helps make sense of things.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think that everyone enjoys a story, but I do enjoy short ancedote's that relate to capturing the image or how it came about. I'd would also enjoy hearing the sounds that the photographer heard, but maybe that's a result of my video background.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    One of my instructors is fond of saying, "if you have to explain your images with words, perhaps you should be a writer..."

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin