Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,676   Online: 881

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I am going to step away from the masses who think that a photograph has to tell a story or transmit information to the viewer.

...I think that a lot more viewers will engage an image that poses a question, reminds the viewer of a quandry, or something unresolved...

Actually, I think you're confirming the notion that SOMEHOW the artist has to CONNECT with the viewer. The words we choose are relevant to the artist. The thread starter used "STORY", so .... ENGAGEMENT works well too.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Actually, I think you're confirming the notion that SOMEHOW the artist has to CONNECT with the viewer. The words we choose are relevant to the artist. The thread starter used "STORY", so .... ENGAGEMENT works well too.
    I tend to make images that are meaningful to me as the primary consideration. I do not need to connect with a viewer. Albeit at some point in the process that does occur occasionally.

I think, for myself, that if I feel the need to communicate to someone else then I will begin making images with that in mind...that is the short track to making personally unfulfilling images.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a paragraph written for each photo that I offer for sale. This is included in a letter to the buyer. Just a short piece about the scene including its location, its historical context if it has one, a little of what it means to me.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to make images that are meaningful to me as the primary consideration. I do not need to connect with a viewer. Albeit at some point in the process that does occur occasionally.

I think, for myself, that if I feel the need to communicate to someone else then I will begin making images with that in mind...that is the short track to making personally unfulfilling images.
    So, if you show the pictures you are content with, do you write about them, or just hang 'em on the wall and let the chips fall where they may ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    I was watching the Brett Weston dvd just last night. I have had it for a while and have watched it several times. Brett said he was not great at marketing and was not a verbal person, even though he liked people.
    BW said that but he displayed a wonderful elegance in his interviews as well as that DVD. He demonstrated how to talk about photographs and photography even as he denied the ability to do so.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    So, if you show the pictures you are content with, do you write about them, or just hang 'em on the wall and let the chips fall where they may ?

I let the chips fall where they may. The matter of viewing a photograph is a uniquely personal experience. It should remain as such.

A photograph is a convention serving at best to "aim at or to approximate" recording one individual's view of subjective reality. For any subsequent viewers of the photograph it will remain nothing more then an approximation. The photograph will never succeed at transmitting the photographer's subjective reality any more the the written word will succeed in directly transmitting personal experience.

To interject a verbal accounting and to impose upon the viewer's experience amounts to about the same thing as putting legs on a snake from where I sit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I let the chips fall where they may. The matter of viewing a photograph is a uniquely personal experience. It should remain as such.

A photograph is a convention serving at best to "aim at or to approximate" transmitting one individual's view of subjective reality. It will never succeed at transmitting that view any more the the written word will succeed in directly transmitting personal experience.

To interject a verbal accounting and to impose upon the viewer's experience amounts to about the same thing as putting legs on a snake from where I sit.
    Good stuff. Well put.

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format

Donald,

I do have to say that is an interesting perspective....

Glad I went a bit different direction with my photography over the last 30 years.

I have never felt my verbals in conjunction with my images has been an imposition to any of my clients, and apparently they have not either.

That, I do have to say is one of the things I love about photography, is the different perceptions and methods involved.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    I have a paragraph written for each photo that I offer for sale. This is included in a letter to the buyer. Just a short piece about the scene including its location, its historical context if it has one, a little of what it means to me.
    This is the approach I've started using. I find that people (and I've noticed this about myself as well when I get an image from someone else) often want to know more about the image and, in the electronic age, I'm not always around to offer more information. Including a letter allows the purchaser to learn more about an image if they prefer or easily shun the description if they wish.

One caveat: the description needs to be well considered and written. I was about to buy a nude off the web a few years ago until I came across a journal the photographer had written on his website. The journal talked about how his van overheated in the desert and he had to drive with the heater on. His model was non-plussed. He chastised her on his website and wondered why she couldn't be more stoic like him. His journal didn't offer a positive presentation of him and I'm glad I read that before buying his work because I would have felt like a dope coming across the journal later.

Cheers, James

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James M. Bleifus
    His model was non-plussed. He chastised her on his website and wondered why she couldn't be more stoic like him. His journal didn't offer a positive presentation of him and I'm glad I read that before buying his work because I would have felt like a dope coming across the journal later.
    WOW, what a jerk.

Here's an example from one of mine. I usually don't say too much more than something like this:

“Yates Center Co-Op” is located in Yates Center, Kansas. Grain elevators are always unique structures. Even though they may have been built to the same basic design, each one is always different from the rest in some regard. This image was made in February 2004.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin