Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,449   Posts: 1,570,074   Online: 910

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are the dates ? I have accounted for my vacation time, which as a self-employed, not retired, PHOTOGRAPHER, is precious and more costly than to somebody with a regular paycheck ( like a fry chef at a slider palace ).

SO, when and where, and how much ? And is it so bloody difficult that a non chemist can't do it ?

d
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, my time is taken already for all this year, but if you write a booklet and decide to sell the blades, I am there! I defintily want to learn how to do this just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    I've put a lot of time and effort into insuring the continued life of silver halide photography. That also includes an appreciable expense!

I could add a lot of commentary here, but I prefer action to words in this case. So now here is the challenge facing all of us.

I have 2 workshops scheduled in 2006. If they fill up, then there is proof that there are others willing to learn silver gelatin for real and continue the medium, but if they do not fill up, then this shows that there is too much talk and not enough action. I probably will then stop all work and give up. After all, why continue talking to people who don't want to listen? It is an exercise in futility.

Now, if you think this is simply a plug for the workshops to make money, consider this. I have figured the costs to me just in dollars spent and it would take me years of workshops to recoup even a fraction of what I put into this. The hand made one-of-a-kind stainless steel coating blades cost a small fortune. I'm probably going to have to sell a carload of them to pay for the 3 generations of prototypes I've gone through. The reason is that I am going to have to order a lot of them to keep the price down so you all can afford them.

So, my work just like some other APUG participants, is a labor of love to pass on something that may vanish and should not vanish from the face of the earth. I'm doing my part, the best way I know how.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    The false perceptions about digital are always amusing.

The beauty of these 'retro' photo journalists is that their work takes what we view as common and adds a richness that was, in a time gone by, taken for granted (viewed as common).

Yeah, sure....it's all about the equipment. Yep, equipment, that's what makes a great photo. If you can tell the difference between a photo that's shot with a Speed Graphic or Canon 1DS 2 that's reproduced in a weekly magazine or newspaper - you must be psychic.
    No it isn't only about the equipment it is about the selective focus due to thinner DOF. It is about film speed plus larger apertures on longer lenses. Its about the inherent differences between LF lenses and 35mm lenses. Its about the inherent differences between LF film and digital. Its about having to think more and shoot less. Its about making the shot count.

For the most part I think the DSLR is great for PJ -- that is not to say it is the same as or even close to LF or roll film with regard to image quality. Just as 35mm can not stand-up to LF or MF. Your post, in general, is insulting and in this instance ignorant. I can say this without being psychic, just as I have seen the LF PJ work and found it to be rich and unique without having an ax to grind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here are the URLs for the workshops. One is in June, the other in September.

http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=1&tabid=13

http://www.cfaahp.org/content/view/1/16/

Aggie's workshop follows mine at the Formulary in June. There is another thread on that here on APUG.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gang,

For what it's worth, here is an article that does a fair treatment of the great analog to digital debate in the fine art world....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esanford
    Gang,

For what it's worth, here is an article that does a fair treatment of the great analog to digital debate in the fine art world....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...r=emailarticle
    Thanks for the link, really enjoyed the article. I have yet to see a gigantic print I would like to own and find anything larger than 16x20 starts to lose the intimacy of smaller prints. It's scary to hear the current state of art photography is the BIGGER! FASTER! MEANER! BUY HUGE PRINTS AND TAKE THEM HOME IN YOUR GIANT HUMVEE OR DIE!! mindset. I have seen a few prints at an NZ gallery that did not seem to have anything going for them other than they were beyond gargantuan. I think after the jumbo print phase dies out traditional prints will be even more highly sought after and that is very exciting.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just as film did not kill oil paint or drawing, digital will not kill film. The market will be different, on line ordering instead of fully stocked local stores and less selection. But wet process photography is not going away if anything it is carving a strong but smaller foothold in the fine art market.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What do you guys think of this place?

digital to REAL silver prints on fiber

I don't know about any other labs like this but if this is a trend that could be good news for traditional paper users. I personally hate inkjet prints, if I can't print on my own enlarger I would rather get one of these or a lightjet type print for color.

Doug

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I know someone who ordered one of these prints, and he said he liked it. He's completely digital. I haven't seen it myself yet.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin