Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,935   Online: 979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Color Theory

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Color Theory

Here is an interesting website to learn about color theory, and how the colors work together. Interesting.

http://poynterextra.org/cp/colorproject/color.html
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Images
    Thanks robert I have been looking for a sight like this. There is one out there that demonstrates color theory in photographs but I have not been able to find it since I lost my Favorites in a computer crash.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Here is an interesting website to learn about color theory, and how the colors work together. Interesting.

http://poynterextra.org/cp/colorproject/color.html
    Interesting web site, but I hasten to point out that it approaches color from the additive standpoint and all analog color photographic products today are subtractive.

Color is color, of course, but some things would be explained differently if it were a subtractive color system being examined.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer
    Interesting web site, but I hasten to point out that it approaches color from the additive standpoint and all analog color photographic products today are subtractive.
    True, my interest is more along the lines of how different colors make people feel, and how colors change our perception of a scene.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Robert

I would also like to point out as PE did that this could be misleading.

Red Green and Blue are *our * additive colours
    Cyan Magenta and Yellow are *our* subtractive colours

Complimentary Colours are

Red > Cyan
    Green > Magenta
    Yellow > Blue

Mixing of colours

Equal Yellow and Magenta = Red
    Equal Red and Green =Yellow
    Equal Yellow and Cyan =Green
    Equal Green and Blue =Cyan
    Equal Cyan and Magenta =Blue
    Equal Blue and Red =Magenta

from here you could then break it down further but I will get too tired to go on.
    I saw on Luminus Landscape the description of Colour Therory as you have shown with the web site. I like the sections on how one percieves colour but make no mistake .

When working with light and photographic colour materials the above is the Colour Basics.
    As well PhotoShop works with these principles.

This is one of the areas of teaching that I think some photographers get side tracked.
    I had a good book from college that explains Photographic Colour Theory, but I lost the book .
    If anyone has a lead on a good book I would appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    True, my interest is more along the lines of how different colors make people feel, and how colors change our perception of a scene.
    I have a day off from work, but I have a cold and I'm feeling blue. I'm embarrassed because I know how I got the cold; I kissed my snotty-nosed kid and it's leaving me a bit red-in-the-face. My frieds are all out with their cameras while I'm home with a cup or tea - I'm green with envy. What color room should I go to in order to hasten recovery?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie
    Red Green and Blue are *our * additive colours
    Cyan Magenta and Yellow are *our* subtractive colours

Complimentary Colours are

Red > Cyan
    Green > Magenta
    Yellow > Blue
    True, this site isn't geared specifically towards photography. My primary interest, is one of understanding how color photography impacts the viewer, how certain colors impact a viewer emotions. This is the most useful part of the site, IMO. However, since one of my long term goals is to publish a book of photographs, it doesn't hurt to understand the publishing side of things (including web publishing) as well.

FWIW, I understand the basics of color in the darkroom process, I'm an old Cibachrome printer - learned the process in 1979. I've also printed Agfacolor and the older Kodak color processes.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the emotional response to colour dependent on culture? Yes?

When I was taught RYB-type colour theory, Johannes Itten's books were the things to read. I'd recommend them as a starting point.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B
    Is the emotional response to colour dependent on culture? Yes?

When I was taught RYB-type colour theory, Johannes Itten's books were the things to read. I'd recommend them as a starting point.

Best,
    Helen
    Thanks Helen, I'll look for that book. From what I've read, I believe that you are correct about color being dependent upon the culture. For example, in Korea (where I lived for 5 years), white is considered the color of death (that is what people wore to funerals), where in the west we associate it more with joy and happiness.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want CMY color theory read Evans, Hanson and Brewer.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin