Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,980   Online: 1065

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I always thought APUG had a good frequency of gallery postings. In the course of an evening there seems to be enough new pics to keep me interested especially when the person tell the story of when, where, how and most importantly where appropriate, the why. I enjoy reading others' comments and the dialogue with the originator. It's a great learning process.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only speak for my self,

I would post more images if I were mobile and could get up out of my power chair to schlep my 8x10 box up and down the hills to make new images. Since I am no longer able to get out to produce fresh new images I suppose what I have to say has absolutely no value. I have made my total living from producing photographs for more than fifty years. I have all the PPofA awards etc. and the silly degrees that to me are worthless. A person won't learn a great deal by visiting my gallery because it consists of "old historical images'
    that personally I happen to like. I seldom post anymore because I no longer have a darkroom, to aid in producing prints.

So since I am not regularly producing new work, my comments and words and experiences gained over the past fifty plus years as a full time professional and have willingly shared with members of this list is according to your post is of little or no value. OK .........Yah, talk is cheap, on the internet you can be anyone you want to be, you can claim to know all the answers. But contrary to what you may think or choose to believe, there are a bunch of us here on APUG that are the real thing. We have no axe to grind, and tell it as we know it to be. Our experience was not gleaned from
    a Kodak "how to book" we glanced at during a college class, seminar or two day workshop.

My opinion,
    Charlie.............

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Charlie,

I don't agree with your comment about not having any value, you have many years of experience; something you can't learn from a book or reading posts on the Internet. You still have a good eye for what is good and what isn't.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webb
    But contrary to what you may think or choose to believe, there are a bunch of us here on APUG that are the real thing. We have no axe to grind, and tell it as we know it to be. Our experience was not gleaned from a Kodak "how to book" we glanced at during a college class, seminar or two day workshop.

THAT is why i look forward to your comments!
    "historical images" --- your personal gallery has some beautiful stuff in it ... historical maybe because they have a timeless quality.

-john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted
    I really like looking at the galleries and, as someone who is more enthusiastic than gifted, I'm sure I could gain much useful critique in posting some pics. However... I just can't get a worthwhile scan to upload. It might be because my scanner is not up to it, or i need to spend some more time learning to use it properly, but to spend £150 or so on a scanner, or £150 on a rodagon lens...No contest!

Jack
    I quite agree Jack, but I think these days you would get a bag full of scanners for £150.00. I have yet to find one in my cornflakes, but I think that day is not that far off
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Charlie,
    I’ve re-read the messages in this thread, and cannot see which one you are answering.
    No one has suggested that you or your images are of no interest or value; quite the opposite. Old images hold just as much information and enjoyment as new, maybe more so; in my opinion good images do not age. Your thoughts and comments are always welcome, at least by me.
    I thought the question that opened this thread was valid, because it’s one that I have asked in the past. I am interested in what interests, and motivates you, and everyone else who posts here. I too like to view pictures, after all it’s the basis of what we do here. So keep posting, and commenting; and please do not feel undervalued, I'm sure nothing could be further from the truth.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first joined APUG, I too was put off by how lousy my scans looked compared to the prints. After a little practice however, you can get pretty good results without buying an expensive scanner. My Canon flatbed cost about $100. I don't have Photoshop but use the included software and I think my scans are a reasonably good representation of the prints themselves. Of course you will never be able to reproduce the fine detail in the print but at monitor resolution of around 75 dpi no scanner will. Scanning slides is another matter and using a transparency adapter with my flatbed generally gives pretty dismal results (especially with high contrast images) but I still post some slide stuff just to give people an idea of what I am doing with my color work. Remember, for web display purposes anything over a 75 dpi scan won't look any better on a monitor so expensive scanning devices aren't a prerequisite for posting in the APUG or any online gallery.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I can only speak for my self,

A person won't learn a great deal by visiting my gallery because it consists of "old historical images' that personally I happen to like. I seldom post anymore because I no longer have a darkroom, to aid in producing prints.

My opinion,
    Charlie.............
    Charles,

At the risk of offending you, I need to disagree. I will speak only for myself, but seeing the older photos is a real turn-on for me. I would love to see you post a history of your photographic life, one image at a time or ten images at a time - whatever is easiest for you, and preferably in a chronological order. I do photography ONLY for enjoyment, and part of the enjoyment for me is seeing what was happening 50-40-30-20 years ago when it was current. If you don't have prints, I don't think anyone is going to object to negative scans. It's not a question of proving your ability - it's a question of whether or not we will all get to enjoy and learn from a lifetime of your work.

cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I seldom post anymore because I no longer have a darkroom, to aid in producing prints.
    That is a shame. Your's are some of my favorite images on APUG.

If you ever decide to get some of your images printed, let me know. I'd love to have one.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave,
    I was not responding to any one post, but in general to Ray and a few others who supported his comments that if you don't post regularly that it is difficult for any one to give credence to what we say, because we don't have the images in the gallery to prove what we are or were capable of.

Charlie......................

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin