Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,277   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Thomas. Advice from the masters...man, I love this place!

As an aside, it is quite strange to me...the way these beautiful, young women obsess about the most trivial things. I was drawn to this particular young lady's coloring - specifically her hair and eyes. She has very light red (stawberry blonde?) hair, almost golden-green eyes and very fair skin. Fascinating. I think it shows even in B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brad,
    You can use "Short Light" or any other lighting technique with available light.
    It is not necessary to bring in a bunch of light and reflectors, use what is available at the location!

Charlie..........

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Charlie,
    There is so much to learn. I confess, I am a complete novice when it comes to lighting. I usually try to use shade or heavy overcast conditions when photographing people out-of-doors. Sometimes, I'll do the "north facing window with a reflector oposite" trick. I have hungrily read your descriptions of how to set up studio lighting in past posts (despite the fact that I have no studio and certainly have not a scrap of studio lighting). The trick with the string was a great idea - and apparently one that "every pro" knows but, it was a revelation to me all the same. Can you recommend a good book or other place to learn more about the art of lighting?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hunter and Fuqua, Light: Science and Magic
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unlike most who have wieghed in, I am a complete amateur and pretty green. But one trick that has worked for me (although I realize it has many limitations) is to use the model's hands. Get her to rest her face on them, or pull a collar of a garment around her. I don't know if this will work for what you have envisioned, but I have had some pretty good results with this, especially with self-conscious people and people who are... uhm... on the heavier side.

Peter.

Images
    Just a side note: Charis Wilson was one of E. Weston's models (and wife).
    One of his more famous nude photos of her has been one of my own personal favorites and inspiration (I'm going to attempt to attach it here). In her autobiography she mentions her first reaction to seeing it was that it was awful because of the bobby pin showing in her hair. Something I (and I'm guessing many others) never even noticed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails charis.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin