Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 803

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visualdata
    Is claiming this discussion is "opening a can of worms" just another way to stifle the discussion or is there a subtle nuance I'm missing?

New here and this is only my 48th post but it does seem odd.
    No, I didn't mean that to stifle discussion, it's just that it IS a can of worms
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Joyce Cary's Gulley Jimson refers to an experience that "peeled" his eyes. Along these lines I would say that one type of good photographer is one who shows us something that's been there in front of us all along but, even so, has remained unseen. A prime recent example is Lee Friedlander in his wonderful recent book, "Stems."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What makes a good photographer?

Passion and vision!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by visualdata
    Well Dave, I don't believe in ignore lists. Kind of difficult to offend me but it still wouldn't get someone put on an ignore list even if they did. I'll refrain from giving examples of those who might have offended me in my virginal week on APUG.

Richard
    Richard,

I agree 100%, I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but I know a few have me on theirs!!!!

LOL

I have always found it better to accept even those opinions you don't like, cause sometimes you go back later and see something that makes sense, I am just old, crusty and been pushing shutter buttons to long, and have watched or been involved in the "what makes a good photographer" debate so many times now, so I guess I am a little slited or hardened to the whole thing.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What constitutes a "good" practitioner of any discipline? As offered above, passion to be sure, but also integrity, skill, talent specific to one's medium, creativity and imagination. Nearly everyone recognizes incompetence, many recognize solid performance, a few recognize all the preceding plus a giftedness way beyond the ordinary. The issue that is more german is who gets to determine the competence of the work in question. When I ask for a critique by posting to that gallery, I am professing a willingness to consider whatever is offered. Unless I request a review by a specified critiquer which isn't an option on this (or any other site I know of), I have to consider all posts.

Why would this question constitute a "can of worms"?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    And of course, I know that my opinion, will again get me put on a few more ignore lists...
    Not as much as that damn dancing little banana!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    where'd he get the cool fruit ?

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What makes a good car? Which camera is best? Where's the most nice place to take a picture? Which shoes should I wear tomorrow? I mean if you were me?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab
    Not as much as that damn dancing little banana!

Awe come on Bill, you don't like nana man, I think he is great

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is nana man available in a funky-dancing-dude penis model? Now how could anybody get upset over that?

Murray

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin