Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,590   Posts: 1,545,945   Online: 1228

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    BTW I know a few Passionate photographers who couldn't photograph their way out of a wet changing bag.
    I agree 100% John,

I still after 20+ years have not figured out what a good photographer is, often times the best photographers, starve while on this earth and only get recognition once they are dead, then other times, those who make the most money can't figure out how to load a roll of film in the camera, defining what a good photographer is, is such a subjective thing, that often, I think we are all slocks, and other times, relish in the fact that I walk among some of the best to ever live, I just have such a hard time defining what makes something the best or even good, photography is subjective, and at one time or another we are all going to be subjected to the bad and the good opinions..I still take pictures and love it evertime I press a shutter button, for the most part, those willing to keep doing it are the greats.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As John said above:"

- Have mastered their craft end to end. Know how to use it to be expressive in a final image."

The final image is what carries the weight with me. The final image will tell in no uncertain terms weather the maker has trully mastered their craft or is still laboring trying to learn it. I also believe "that a good working photographer" is only as good as his last image! Though I made many illustrations for some major corporations, I am no longer the same photographer. I still have the knowledge of how to, but my last images have pretty much faded away!

Charlie.........................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good or Best. By necessity, aren't these required to be observed by other people. Of course some go around thinking and saying they are good. But this doesn't hold up long in the real world until validated by other people.

Isn't this our opportunity?

Isn't that what we are doing in this thread ?
    Last edited by John McCallum; 02-20-2006 at 11:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to say it John,

Another photographer telling me, I am bad or good, has very little meaning to me, the buying public, whether commercial or artistic is whats determines if I am good or bad, I take pictures, plain and simple, they spend their money..to me it is pretty simple, I have my favorites, which don't pay squat, they have their favorites, which in my life puts food on the table.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If someone buys your photograph, they are validating your work.

If it is a non-photographer without a photographers' awareness of the difficulties of achieving the result; surely that is the best validation of all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay okay okay. Yes, Good Better Best is subjective.

This thread was about "what makes/constitutes a good photographer?".

There's been a lot of dancing around the topic so far. Why not offer an opinion on the specific attributes that make a photographer good at a photographic genre that captures your interest?

Surely we can do better than Passion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Okay okay okay. Yes, Good Better Best is subjective.

This thread was about "what makes/constitutes a good photographer?".

There's been a lot of dancing around the topic so far. Why not offer an opinion on the specific attributes that make a photographer good at a photographic genre that captures your interest?

Surely we can do better than Passion.
    John,

That is what I have been saying all along, there is no definition that will define "what makes/constitutes a good photographer" it is not something that can be put into words by definition, there are good technical photographers, there are good photographers with vision, I don't know the correct way to define the question, and most definately say what it is, passion is certainly a very big part of it, why don't you define it for us, maybe that would be a starting place for us to build on, and I am not stepping around the question, I just feel after making a living at it so long, there is not a correct answer..

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One that has a good or "great" eye. Seeing what others might miss or pass up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that being successful and being good require separate and distinct abilities. One won't necessarily follow the other, or is even necessary sometimes.

Being successful requires promotion and a market. The question is What makes a photographer good?

What is it about Joel Peter Witkin that makes him good? I don't know. But I could venture an opinion about what makes a B&W landscape photographer good or photojournalist.

Dave, I guess the reason I'm a bit hot on this is that I believe if you can't define or describe something that is good, how will you ever hope to be good yourself. Assuming that you wish to do so of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format

what makes/constitutes a good photographer?

duh. the one with the biggest LENS! (or is that the largest format?) -I ALWAYS get those two mixed up...!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin