Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,552   Posts: 1,544,914   Online: 911

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Billions of people have had sex before. Hundreds of billions I guess.

I've had sex before.

So it's been done before. A lot.

But I plan on doing it again and again and again and again.........

Although maybe not all on the same day.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visualdata
    These comments "it's been done before" are elitist and meant to stifle any "newbie" from commenting. You should reconsider your views that anyone "NEW" coming on to APUG should have to spend endless amounts of time going over OLD posts just so they don't repeat what some think is the final say on these matters.
    Believe me or not, but being still a newbie myself I have actually spent a lot of time so far reading old threads because I was looking for a specific information. I do it a little less now because I managed to find what I was looking for, but you've got to realise that some questions surfaced more than other. That's why people write FAQs. Frequently. Asked. Questions. It's a common issue of most internet forums, and all forums tend to react in similar ways.

FAQs can't resolve open-ended issues like "is it art," but frankly you don't need a FAQ to infer that on any given website dedicated to photo somebody has already thought about asking "Is it art." Heck, it's almost the first thing people ask themselves when they start taking pictures.

Granted, we should probably bury this thread, but you really over-reacted.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Your mom probably told you that you are 'one in a million'

That means there are 6,000 people just like you. Get over it.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanx guys
    great responses, lots to reflect on
    but why so many words telling me there are already many words on the subject, and that it's not worth more words, if i were a cynic i may think ya'all like ta hear ya selves typein, oh looki i need a nuther inglish lesson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Everything might be photographed, but not by everyone yet ....
    Perfection is Boring ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    in another thread, which i started this morning, their is some reluctance to discuss issues that some say have already been addressed

so what!

hasn't everything already been done?

why photograph a sunset? it's been done

why photograph a beautiful woman? it's been done

why discuss an issue that has already been addressed? by who? when? maybe i want up to date feedback on the issue

why endlessly discuss stuff that tries to second guess issues that highly trained people have already worked out? is that all that is done on this site?
    Because, sometimes the journey is more valuable than the end point.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i enjoy the epistemoligical questions.

Side note: Epistemology is the branch of philosophy that studies knowledge. It attempts to answer the basic question: what distinguishes true (adequate) knowledge from false (inadequate) knowledge? Practically, this questions translates into issues of scientific methodology: how can one develop theories or models that are better than competing theories? It also forms one of the pillars of the new sciences of cognition, which developed from the information processing approach to psychology, and from artificial intelligence, as an attempt to develop computer programs that mimic a human's capacity to use knowledge in an intelligent way.

yes it has been done before and will most likely be done again by someone, somewhere, somehow eventually. but how have you benefitted from that experience? i have read some books more than once; certainly driven to work the same way more than once; allowed the day to unfold without my own obvious machinations imposed more than once; but as others have already mentioned it was only a similarity. the infinite number of variables that separate moments change the probability of the exact same results over a period of time. since the results are slightly dis similar, we have the probabilty and potential for a vastly different experience as a result. Imagine!

Luke
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes.

I have read that the United States Patent Office was (briefly) closed late in the 19th Century because "everything" had already been invented.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The fact that most people keep trying to do what has already been done shouldnt be construed as an indication it has all been done. It hasnt. People just dont see all that hasnt been done and they lack fertile imaginations and unique ways of seeing, so they keep doing the same things over and over. I lump myself in that category, though its something I continually strive to escape and there are clearly people who have escaped it. There is nothing wrong with doing the same thing over again though, if thats what you enjoy doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath
    in another thread, which i started this morning, their is some reluctance to discuss issues that some say have already been addressed

so what!

hasn't everything already been done?

why photograph a sunset? it's been done

why photograph a beautiful woman? it's been done

why discuss an issue that has already been addressed? by who? when? maybe i want up to date feedback on the issue

why endlessly discuss stuff that tries to second guess issues that highly trained people have already worked out? is that all that is done on this site?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin