Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,910   Posts: 1,556,190   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    actually, that sounds like a fun photo challenge. make an image of rocks! see how different people photograph a universally mundane object.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's not art unless it is taken using a digital camera and printed Gicleely!

Shooter
    35mm
    It might be better to concentrate on the soap and water in the shower and leave the rock arrangements for the sauna.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Images
    ART=represents something of the world, express or evoke emotion, please us by its form, and stand on its own as something autonomous and self-defining.

I found this the other day and thought it was appropriate to the way i view the definition of art. In Eric's example of the pile of rocks, I would say we, as the viewer can only say the final presentation. SInce I was not present at the rock arranging, nor was I present at the printing I can only judge the image I am presented with. Capanigro's rocks are a perfect example.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose
    There have been some great photos published by a name photographersthat is essentially an arrangement of rocks. The photographer made the arrangement and then photographed it.

So where is the art? The rock arrangement or the recording of the rock arrangement via photography?

Just one of the many things I ponder in the shower LOL.
    Eric as a newly wed, standing in the shower contemplating rocks may be have a whole nother psychological meaning.

I believe we have a shrink on this site, so help is on the way.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    yes Micheal, on the odd occasion when I have to shower by myself, the pain of it all. the loneliness ....
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin
    The art is in having the idea. The art is in executing the idea. The art is in convincing collectors that your work is collectable.

What's next fer gawds sake, peppers?

Murray
    No, naked women.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=jimcollum]There we go.. a definition that is accurate in describing a major trait of a *successful* artist.

NOW...let's define successful. Does it mean one make a lot of money? ...or does it mean one is working, either part time or full time, at the photographic craft and is continually getting better and fully enjoys the results of his labor? I firmly believe in the latter!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Drew B.]
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcollum
    There we go.. a definition that is accurate in describing a major trait of a *successful* artist.

NOW...let's define successful. Does it mean one make a lot of money? ...or does it mean one is working, either part time or full time, at the photographic craft and is continually getting better and fully enjoys the results of his labor? I firmly believe in the latter!
    well.. i defined what i considered successful in that specific quote (which was very tongue-in-cheek)

on a serious side, as you said.. the latter is what i'd prefer.. but the two don't have to be mutually exclusive (in fact, i'd bet that if your real focus was the second.. having the first come along would help things out)

Doesn't success mean to achieve your goal. And your goal could be happiness, or money, or expertise or all of the above.

So goals are often moving targets.

So maybe success is only a retrospect thing.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin