Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,438   Online: 976

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    Just for the record, Merriam Webster defines "faith":

2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust
    3 : something that is believed especially with strong conviction; especially : a system of religious beliefs

Can't speak for Islam, but Christians often use "faith" as a synonym for religion; i.e., "marrying within one's own faith".

All that being said, Donald asks a good question.

Cheers,

David
    Not much difference between Islam and Christianity in this matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    (I had been considering posting to this thread, but had hesitated until I saw where it was going, but now I'll just go ahead.)

I, along with four other apuggers, have started on a project to photograph places of worship. Being five of us, there are multiple perspectives and motivations for participating in the project. Religion and faith play a part, but so does various interests in history, preservation, art, architecture, anthropology, sociology, etc.

It will be intersting to see how this all turns out, and we will let you (APUG) know.

I'm not sure if we will touch on Mark's motivations or not. We'll see.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I don't have any references for works of this type, it seems to me there are a couple of ways to approach doing it. As with many subjects, the first key is probably "understanding" the faith and how it and the associated symbology manifests in its believers. Then, once you know what to look for, the photography can be approached from either a photojournalistic perspective (the luck of being in the right place at the right time, with the right measure of sensitivity), or a "staged" photojournalistic manner (creating the right time, right place, but still having the sensitivity - something akin to editorial work). While "it" is all in your heart, you can use your mind to create the scene that conveys the message.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

From my perspective, I consider all religions as man made. We have been inventing them from the beginning of time. However I do believe in God.

So to me, photographing man- made structure like churches, or whatever your religion calls them, is meaningless. It is only honoring the people that made them.

If you do believe in God, one would probably conclude that he/she made this earth and by photographing the beauties of this planet you are indeed, honoring God.

That being said, if you wish to see the perfect manifestation of God, look into the face of a child.

Of course of your intent is to photograph the nuances of different religions or their customs, then that is another matter.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Just to clarify things, are you euphemistically calling a religion a "faith"? It seems to me that a faith is an individual's experience or belief that may or may not exist within the confines of an organized religion. Whereas adherants of an organized religion may not have faith those who do not embrace an organized religion may have the greater actual faith. The two are separate and distinct in my perspective.

I am just trying to gain clarity on what it is that you want to do.
    There are two ways to interpret it but this is what I meant by faith:

belief in something that cannot be proven. Any life way or tradition a person holds to and uses to guide their actions. The Navajo Kinnaalda`(A girl's puberty ceremony) would be just as valid as Passover, a Sunday mass, bowing to Mecca, or NAC Peyote meeting. I am looking for someone who is symbolically exploring their own faith through photography.

"Organized" religion is based on faith, in fact, there is organization and structure to all life ways and traditions. None more valid or invalid than the other.

Of course there are those who, say, go to church on Sunday morning because they are Catholic but balance their checkbook while they are there. There are also those who are sitting next to them who get down and pray a rosary and light a candle not because they "have to" but because the "need" to, and there are those inbetween the two. There are those just going through the motions in whatever tradition, life way, or religion you can name, with absolutely no faith at all. To me Faith is Faith. You either have it or you don't have it. If you have it, you express it in what ever means is most appropriate for yourself.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am working on a project that is for my church, First Unitarian in Denver. It is called "Reframing Family" and will feature predominantly same sex couples and their families. The connection to faith is that one of the main principles of Unitarian Universalism is the inherent worth and dignity of each person. The project is specifically designed to show the families in their homes or other family places and to help show that they are, indeed, families in the most real sense. To me this is a very important statement of of my religious faith. I understand that there is an intersection here with the political, but isn't that the case with most core beliefs?

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...to=12888&cat=2

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    O.K. I think that what Mark is asking is something that all of us do in one form or another, whether we realize it or not. Maybe not in a formally defined manner but still it happens.

What I mean is that for each of us, through our photography, express our view of the world...of life...the questions that remain and the awarenesses that we have gained. This faith is basically a belief that we have chosen and we express it through the actions that we take and the images that we make.

Perhaps this is not what Mark has in mind...but I wonder if perhaps the answer preceded the question.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I am working on a project that is for my church, First Unitarian in Denver. It is called "Reframing Family" and will feature predominantly same sex couples and their families. The connection to faith is that one of the main principles of Unitarian Universalism is the inherent worth and dignity of each person. The project is specifically designed to show the families in their homes or other family places and to help show that they are, indeed, families in the most real sense. To me this is a very important statement of of my religious faith. I understand that there is an intersection here with the political, but isn't that the case with most core beliefs?

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...to=12888&cat=2

Paul
    Paul,

I really like the image that you have posted. What a rare and beautiful moment that you captured.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a side note, I'd like to point to Krysztof Kieslowski's Dekalog series of movies, which illustrate each one of the Ten Commandments. It's not a film about faith, it's more films of faith. Not in the sense that it subscribes clearly to a dogma, but rather that it engages with the questions that the Christian faith deals with. You might want to look at it for inspiration (!); for me it's one of the greatest examples of art responding in an earnest way with human spirituality.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a photographer in Flagstaff, Arizona, who is very much trying to illustrate the tenants of his faith. I would say he is trying to pass the message along.

I encourage you to take a look.

Tim Macy Photography

I thought you migh to see it.

Corey

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin